In for a penny...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also started with Bees on a Budget, last summer. Good value for money. Did need to fork out for a couple of extra supers later in the year (after starting with a May nuc)... And about 50 jars. Bees do not seem to insist on Prada hives... And having looked at first quality boxes, there is little difference. (I have also tried seconds from other suppliers and they were quite knotty)

Have you looked at Th*rnes 'Bees on a budget'? Complete hive £150, second quality, but perfectly usable...

However - while a British National hive might be mainstream in the UK, it remains a distinctly unusual choice for the middle of France ...

However - while a British National hive might be mainstream in the UK, it remains a distinctly unusual choice for the middle of France ...

Tres vrai. je was merely comparing it avec le price de Th*rnes full price which OP quoted.

Tres vrai. je was merely comparing it avec le price de Th*rnes full price which OP quoted.

It would be worth the OP searching the forum for previous suggestions.

Using the Google search (top left) simply for
France
turned up lots of threads including http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19380 which suggests a basic plastic hive (including one super and all frames) could be as little as €76.50 (2012), and also points out that French and UK "Dadants" don't even take the same frame size ...

Plenty more similar threads.

Once again thanks for all the help, and apologies for ruffling the pond surface.

I went to Thorne today, lovely people, saw the bees on a budget thing which I have to say is a good idea - if it turns out next year that I am anaphylactic, which I don't think I am, or that I hate being surrounded by bees, total outlay of £250 is not going to be crippling.
My one contact so far in France uses Warre hives, so I might look at them.
I didn't know about Dadant not being standard sizes, which opens up a new chain of worries.

Ideally I want to get to France using the same stuff and techniques as the locals, as all of you and the half dozen books I've read say you should blend in with the locals:- easier to borrow stuff, easier to get help and advice.

Aren't hobbies supposed to be relaxing?

Get some Langstroth equipment they are popular worldwide and easier to make if you are so inclined at a later date. You can always put package bees into any equipment. The deal hive (not as long lasting as cedar) from Maisemore is very cheap at the moment £56 for floor, brood body, 2 x supers and a roof. You will need to buy the frames in addition to this and foundation (unless you want to go foundation-less) and a crownboard (which is easy to make as it is simply a wooden board the same dimensions as the top of the hive with a 3cm hole drilled in the middle). Good luck.

I went to Thorne today, lovely people, saw the bees on a budget thing which I have to say is a good idea - if it turns out next year that I am anaphylactic, which I don't think I am, or that I hate being surrounded by bees, total outlay of £250 is not going to be crippling.
My one contact so far in France uses Warre hives, so I might look at them.
I didn't know about Dadant not being standard sizes, which opens up a new chain of worries.

Ideally I want to get to France using the same stuff and techniques as the locals, ...

OK, while you are in the UK, see if you can make contact with any local-enough association holding a meeting (or more than one, several even.)
They should have loan suits for visitors, and you could get surrounded by bees, see the inside of a hive or two and maybe even get stung.
All for the price of some petrol (and probably 50p for the tea afterwards ...)
Better way to start than buying ANY kit.

Warré hives are distinctly a minority interest in beekeeping, and demand a different technique and approach. Beloved by some 'natural' beekeepers, they are virtually impossible to inspect for disease.

Be aware that Langstroth hives, though internationally popular, are not internationally standardised either. Its not just Dadant!
In the UK we have the luxury of having had BSI standardisation of the National frame sizes (used in both National and WBC). Euro 'harmonisation' is yet to arrive anywhere.

Latest posts

Back