***** in a bath tub in a canal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the wife has found another downside, you would think that having a husband free week she would be all for it!!

apparently i dont know how to sail a bath tub.

four bits of string a bed sheet and a broom handle how hard can it be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't you be trying to steal my crown!
I am still the official Bathtub racing champion (GB) since approximately 1994!
I will try and find a picture and post it up.

There is actually an annual competition in the US of A (maybe Canada). I'll find a link!

The Bathtubs were built with the tub in the water but a hull shape could be used along with a maximum 8HP outboard. The prop could be modified should it be so desired!
They were quick, fun and quite dangerous at times. Balance and trim were very important!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqwjPwm20v4&feature=related[/ame]

Congratulations on the all clear!

Last edited:
Pete - I would be proud of such daftness myself :) I hope you can hold your breath though, there are a lorra lorra locks along the route(s). If you were thinking of Worcester Birmingham Canal, there are thirty in a couple of miles alone at Tardebigge (don't ask me how I know)!

Bon Voyage me hearty, or summat like....

Excellent! Give me a shout when you're at the top of Tardebigge and I'll pop up and give you a push. There's a nice pub at the bottom where we can slake our thirst :)

It sounds like a load of rollocks! Can I come and film it? I'll pass the oxygen to you when the locks get too much.

The last of the summer wine is back! :D We will expect a running commentary from now until completion.

i was planning on the old idea of pram wheels when encountering a lock

Just what I was thinking in case the tunnel is closed to bathtubs.

Pete - I would be proud of such daftness myself :) I hope you can hold your breath though, there are a lorra lorra locks along the route(s). If you were thinking of Worcester Birmingham Canal, there are thirty in a couple of miles alone at Tardebigge (don't ask me how I know)!

Bon Voyage me hearty, or summat like....

Tardebigge is very picturesque....but that was before we had four kayaks to manhandle round locks.

You do need a piece of soft plasticy card to wave at the authorities on the waterways: ours has just cost us around £75 for two adults and two under 16s with the WCU for a year. Gulp.

Further, if you fall in you'll likely freeze: dunked my two in the Monty Canal in October when it was warm enough for shorts and T-shirt....for the experience of WHY they wear neoprene most of the year. Did the trick.

Further, if you fall in you'll likely freeze: ....

Freezing would be the least of my worries :) I wonder if there is a web thingy advising on inoculation requirements? I've read some interesting material on working waterways (they probably still 'bucket and chuck it').

I do most of my running along the canal towpath - what a vision that would be, Pete rowing towards me in a bath (it must be the endorphins...).

What a wheeze!

Eek! 500 posts :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't pin too much hope on sailing. canals tend to run between hedges, so the likelihood is that any wind will be 20 feet above your head, unless it is blowing straight along the canal. You wont have enough room to tack, so that's reducing sailing to longish straight sections with the wind directly behind you.

Also, although it's not rocket science, you sort of do want to know which bit of string to pull, and when, and why...

I would stick with rowing. If you don't want a crick in your neck from looking over your shoulder, you might want to include a rear-view mirror in the design :D

congrates moggs on hitting 500.

i used to scuba dive and running water swimming so the dunking in the water cold shock i can handle, i also have a large amount of thermal layering around the waist to keep the warm in, lol and a life jacket at all times

the canal badge is going to cost me £30 for non powerd or £85 for powerd.

since i dont own a sea gull or the like its non powerd, i did think of an electric outboard but having to build a second boat to tow the genny seemed a little pointless!

quite like the idea of a foot peddled powerd, paddle boat. the downside to that is not owning a welder to make the frame to peddle with,

so we have a bed sheet a broom handle four bits of string a pair of oars, or a punt pole,

i did suggest using the wife as a barage mare but she declined very very rudely to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some people just dont get the idea of a good walk

I am probably getting silly here but why not get two friends to dress up as a pantomine horse and put them in the boat, then you dress up as a bargee (spotted red scarf, clogs, white shirt and waistcoat etc) and pull them along the tow path? You might make the Turner Prize shortlist if you call it an "installation".

i like that idea, does anyone want to volunteer to be an rear end

just ben chassing a seagul for £100 on ebay. that would make a fantastic putt putt for the...................................!!!!

ready for this ?

SUBMANOE my sons idea of a style of boat we built today:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i have yet to think of a name for the boat "sequin" came to me for some reason as a starter lol

bumble bee.
honey bee,
honey pot.
midlife crisses,

anymore someone?

i have brought a seagul putt putt ,:party::party:

cause iam old and lazy and know better than to row 90 miles in a home made canal bath tub, even with a sail, :biggrinjester:

i think also at this time of year there are going to be few canal boats to tow me with and a west wind is going the other way to my journey down the cut

the down side is a larger BW ticket as a powered craft and proper boat insurence, bugger:dupe:

Ahhh and a certificate of boatiness? Shouldn't take long to write one out - fill it with water - hey, no leaks!

......... 48 pot noddles and a crate of newcastle brown .........

This whole idea is about as mad as the mad idea thought up by Maddy McMad the Maddest Madman in the Mad World - 5 time winner of the Maddest, Mad Idea Competition...... I LIKE IT!!

PS Just as an aside it was even funnier when I first read it as (on another forum I use) "pot noodle" is a euphemism for <ahem> a solo activity that might be undertaken by a gentlemen staying away from home without his other half for an extended time... <cough> if you get the gist!!!

Latest posts

Back