***** in a bath tub in a canal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coat!!!

I think that's what Dr S was referring to . . . :)

pete trying to emulate griff and rory etc three men in a boat

pete trying to emulate griff and rory etc three men in a boat

More like the original 3 men in a boat, ie not just done for the cameras. Does mean you have to take a dog though.....

i have never heard it called a pot noddle before, as a serious point , does anyone else realise that chick pot noddles contain no chicken at all, read the lable its not listing chicken!!!!!

So here we are the almost finished article. There are a few down sides to it so let’s deal with them firstly.
1, far too heavy, using 12mm ply not 6mm doubled that weight and using a plaster board pallet rather than 25mm by 50mm timber tripled that weight as well. I have yet to put everything on the scales but we are easily over 40 kg for the boat and that’s before we fit the parker knoll chairs.
2, not as water proof as we thought, we actually stopped taking the bent nails out of the sheet of ply to stop making MORE holes in it. We have plastered the outside with a stuff called IKO POLIMAR which is basically a plastic paint used to seal roof tops and flat roofs with. We have three tubs left over from a job last year and this is the last tin of it. I plan to slap two or three coats of it on the boat hull and mastic all the insides of the joints.
As a first attempt at this sort of boat we are also only planning a one way trip we did not and plan not to spend any more than possible on the whole boat

We have also brought a sea gull outboard engine over the weekend it’s a simple little job but with a service should stand me well to do the first great escape plan and after this trial maybe I can consider doing more of them but after I made a proper boat or brought an old fibres glass jobbie. But that’s for a later date.
Other considerations is the idea of two pieces of 25mm by 50mm running down the outer edges or a single piece of 150mm by 25mm cut to follow the shape of the hull as a keel to help it to guide along, she has a flat bottom and with a strong head wind I can see she being hard to keep in a straight line on the cut and river. Any suggestions any one.
I have had several people make comment on the construction style of the boat and all were laughed at by me, she is at the end of the day designed to go to a max of 100 miles before burning, joint details and sanding of hulls before painting and planning ply to tight joints, are not needed at all, we can solve all issues with the submanoe with shouting, lots of shouting. If anything goes wrong all we have to do is shouting at it long and hard enough and will we perform as planned. It worked for the British Empire and I can’t see why it should change.

Costs.
Being unemployed at the moment and having a set amount of money. Generous gift from a friend who is stupid enough to support a crazy idea of the great bathtub challenge but is not totally stupid enough to actually do it. Also we are going to pay back when we get financially sorted again.
Sea Gull outboard engine £80
Boat sealants, two tubes from a pound shop £2
Two packets of handles, to tie tarp to as roof £2
Hobo stove part £1
Rope mooring eyes (gate ties) three of £3
Flash band, roof repair tape (sealing boat joints) £8
Nails screws and plywood and plasterboard pallet were already at the allotment or collected for free off the street where I live, so was the roof sealer paint and the settee cushions and arm chair

Total so far including the £80 for the sea gull engine outboards is £96
We have still buy some ropes and two stroke oil and to service the outboard as well.
The outboard should really be considered but we will reuse the outboard on other boats so in one way so far the boat has only cost us £16 , and for a seven foot by three foot, 2.1metres by 0.9metre boat we don’t think it’s too bad for a disposable boat

picture time
firstly the obligatory video, and cup of tea,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uf24b7PtgE&list=UUD2UDQkIfU7zYyRRfsnPQ5Q&index=1&feature=plcp

next up is the expensive parts from Newcastle
PIC_2931.jpg

and before you ask, yes i did, many other em as love the stuff and was on the train not driving. i did wrap the lot up with brown paper so it looked better carrying around on my shoulder all day, drove the police crazy wanting to know what is was, lol

and now the finished (almost) articule
PIC_2928.jpg

yes i know is not squared up and very bent and twisted but its a rough disposible boat i dont mind if it is, and for a pallet its very waterproof, ha ha ha

Waheyyyyy!!!! A feat of nautical nonsense if ever I saw. Name that boat!

Stately spanish Galleon ain't in it! :D

If you struggle to get it watertight, what about going for a coracle hybrid, ie wrap the whole thing in polythene?

One thing- having had experience with small outboards, I would suggest still fitting with oars, or at least a single paddle, just in case it turns out to be a little temperamental.

Pete, you may need to use another piece of pallet to reinforce the transom where the outboard will clamp on - the transom (back of the boat) is going to take the force from the motor as it pushes you along so it needs a little more bulk to it.

Looks like an easy conversion to a TBH afterwards Pete.

RE Chicken content of pot noodes. I went (reluctantly) to a vegetarian school in the 60s/70s as a boarder. My first weekend there I got into a lot of trouble after the discovery of some Bacon Tangs (bisuity things) despite the fact it was proven they had no connection with pork. Not that I'm bitter, but its an injustice that still rankles.:cuss:

thanks for the tip on the stern transom, i might up grade from quality pallet to top notch plank for that piece.

just been speaking to a boaty friend who has given a massive downer to the whole stupid plan.

if i slap the out board on the end, i will now need to supply a powered craft boat licence from british water ways, a boat safety certificate, third party insurence, a certificate of CE from the builder,he was uncertain about any other docs though.

but the engine is there of course only for emerganct health and safety reasons we are going to row all 90 miles from galton bridge to severn bridge,

ahhm wink wink

Bit of a downer as you say.

Pretty sure you need a licence to use any boat on a waterway, powered or not. Open rowing boats don't count as powered or need safety certificates as far as I recall. There is some group scheme for canoe users, but no idea what the limits are to call a boat a canoe.

Rules and fees vary depending on who maintains the waterway, you may need to look it up or phone around. Be good to see you having a go in spite of the obstacles.

"Pretty sure you need a licence to use any boat on a waterway, powered or not."

see early posts in the thread re the £40 vs £85-90 fees for access unpowered vs powered.

its starting to get sencible and boring now,

third party insurence is £80
BSS inspection another £120 it does last three years tho
British waterways ticket another £80

and gawd knows what else and all so i can sink in there canals and the rivers

the simple way around it as far as i can tell , not of course that i would ,;);)

is to get the third party insurence and since i have no window to diplay my boat ticket would be to write it down on a plastic disk and staple it to the side of the arm chair or write it on the side of the boat, the trick is to walk past someone elses canal barge and borrow thier number!!

"Pretty sure you need a licence to use any boat on a waterway, powered or not."

see early posts in the thread re the £40 vs £85-90 fees for access unpowered vs powered.

My point was (supposed to be) that the interpretation of powered and un-powered is not always clear, the rules and what is enforced depends on who runs the waterway. On the Thames I know people who have a rowing boat, it spends most of the summer in the water. They pay the unpowered licence fee but they have a small outboard which is attached and used on some trips. Nobody has objected and it seems to be the usual practice around there.

Trying to confirm I have the requirements correct, the Environment agency web site says;

"Boats not required to have a BSSC or Declaration of Conformity at any time are:

Privately-owned, open vessels that have no domestic cooking, heating, refrigerating or lighting appliances installed, are not fitted with other permanent electrical systems (e.g. navigation lights, engine start / tilt etc) and which are propelled solely by an outboard engine without a fixed fuel system..."

I cannot find anything more explicit about whether an occasional outboard requires a change of registration forthe year, but there is nothing to stop you registering a simple open rowing boat as unpowered (£32 on the Thames this year, I looked it up) and it doesn't require any certificates or insurance. If adding a simple clamp on outboard later should trigger a re-registration as powered there are thousands who don't and I'm not aware of anyone being prosecuted.

As I said, the rules and enforcement may vary by waterway.

"Boats not required to have a BSSC or Declaration of Conformity at any time are:

Privately-owned, open vessels that have no domestic cooking, heating, refrigerating or lighting appliances installed, are not fitted with other permanent electrical systems (e.g. navigation lights, engine start / tilt etc) and which are propelled solely by an outboard engine without a fixed fuel system..."

This paragraph would seem quite hopeful for Pete.
Privately owned - yes
Open Vessel - yes
No equipment fitted - Yes
No electrical system -Yes