I'm taking my first bbka module exam.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s a good honey show lecture on this on their YouTube channel.
Thanks dani I'll look it up.

I've been offered to take the basic practical and I'm wondering how this will be achieved in the present climate?

The coordinator for the association has said most do the basic first.
I would like to do it as this is going to be my fortay.. More so than the rest.

Last edited:
Thanks dani I'll look it up.

I've been offered to take the basic practical and I'm wondering how this will be achieved in the present climate?

The coordinator for the association has said most do the basic first.
I would like to do it as this is going to be my fortay.. More so than the rest.

Usually the Basic is the first step, that is done after one year beekeeping and then it opens up the modules and other practical exams, I'm assuming due to covid people are being allowed to do the modules without taking the basic first.

The basic assessment is what it says, basic. Lighting a smoker and being able to answer basic questions about the bees and equipment, opening a hive and identifying drone, worker and the queen if seen and knowing the difference between capped stores and brood.
Very basic really and has a high pass rate. Some do fail though.
You'll have to make a frame too. Remember they like 11 nails in a frame. :)

Usually the Basic is the first step, that is done after one year beekeeping and then it opens up the modules and other practical exams, I'm assuming due to covid people are being allowed to do the modules without taking the basic first.

The basic assessment is what it says, basic. Lighting a smoker and being able to answer basic questions about the bees and equipment, opening a hive and identifying drone, worker and the queen if seen and knowing the difference between capped stores and brood.
Very basic really and has a high pass rate. Some do fail though.
I'll take it on then and hopefully fail;)

Once upon a time ( way back in the last century...) one* had to take the basic and pass before one was allowed to proceed to any other the other modules.

I for one took it and passed... and then when many years later I moved to Cornwall had to take it again since there was no record kept of my passing!

I can not put my hand on my heart and say that my passing was a good thing........

* I say "one" because that is how one spoke all propper like back in those days in Surrey, when being examined in front of some very pompous Master beekeepers full of their very self importance.
It was such a privilege to be examined by them!!!

You mean you can swim, I swim like a stone.
Do you know so many children aren’t being taught to in school. I went to a grammar school and the city swimming pool was a five minute walk away. It was part of our curriculum and compulsory. I hated it but learned to swim.
I still hate swimming. The best place for water is in a whisky.

Do you know so many children aren’t being taught to in school. I went to a grammar school and the city swimming pool was a five minute walk away. It was part of our curriculum and compulsory. I hated it but learned to swim.
I still hate swimming. The best place for water is in a whisky.
In my day, late 80s we use to go to the comunal swimming baths in Hereford when we were at school.
It was usually on a Wednesday which was market day, I use to skive and go to market with father toTalgarth, Abergavenny or whatever he was taking live stock. So I didn't get to swim much.
I didn't mind because when I was at market I use to get paid £10 for driving the livestock into the ring or into the pens..
This money was saved and in 1997 I bought my first car a 1.1 Ford fiesta a c reg 1986 she was my passion waggon with fluffy dies and fake fluffy leopard skin seat covers I still have her at home it cost me £325.
My daughter loves her and I've said she can have her when she's older only 10 years to go.

As we are home schooling we have taken them loads before covid. (swimming that is)
The school they were in didn't really go swimming so not that much has changed.
Good night :) speak again.

Single malt for me, particularly like the smoothness of the Glen Moray.
Certainly no water a ruination of Whisky.

Single malt for me, particularly like the smoothness of the Glen Moray.
Certainly no water a ruination of Whisky.
I do like a Springbank (but it has to be 12 year old plus) but my favourite is the original Jura - not the poncy mucked about ones they market now, matured in dirty beer barrels or whatever but like the first ones when the distillery was rebuilt - matured in brand new clean oak barrels.

I do like a Springbank (but it has to be 12 year old plus) but my favourite is the original Jura - not the poncy mucked about ones they market now, matured in dirty beer barrels or whatever but like the first ones when the distillery was rebuilt - matured in brand new clean oak barrels.
Springbank 12-year old is cask cask strength...
I'm no connoisseur (I often add a little ice) but I'd like to know if you add water to cask strength whisky? (Nooooooooo!)
Interesting what say about old barrels

21 year old if you're rich.
I'm lucky I can just wander along to the shop and get stuff straight from the cask to a little bottle. (not the 21 yr. stuff though sadly) :scotland-flag:

I'm no connoisseur (I often add a little ice) but I'd like to know if you add water to cask strength whisky?
No water or ice in any whisky.
Traditionally distillers used to age their whisky in used sherry barrels
Jura used to use new oak barrels, Springbank used second hand sherry barrels (you just got the aftertase of it on the back of your tongue after sipping) but over the last ten years or so a new fad has started with using various types of second hand barrels to age the whisky so you have to be very careful when picking up a bottle if you want to enjoy the original taste, most distillers now makret one as 'origin' or such like to differentiate from the novelty flavours.

21 year old if you're rich.
I'm lucky I can just wander along to the shop and get stuff straight from the cask to a little bottle. (not the 21 yr. stuff though sadly) :scotland-flag:
I used to like the shop before they moved to the new location - old fashioned double fronted premises on the street corner, with just shelves of whisky sorted in age order (with a full display of miniatures in date order on the counter). The new place (well, new to me in 2012 when i was last there.) was just the usual barren shop with just the few trendy bottles they wanted you to buy that month.
I suppose I was spoilt as my first encounter with the 12, or maybe it was 14 year old (can't remember now, but it wasn't available in any shops as it was destined for export only) was courtesy of the 'officer' responsible for the distillery who, in the days when service on the fleet was on a detached duty basis, was also a crew member but more importantly got a staff discount on any purchases.

Back