I have a bees nest in my shed so what do I do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munchie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, all. My husband has found a bees next in his shed/workshop in my garden, underneath a cabinet he has in there. From what we can see there's approximately 30 or so. I would like some information on what to do. I don't want to kill them, seeing as they are bees, if it was wasps the spray would go straight in! If there is anyone in East Yorkshire who could advise me what to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Leave them alone....
If only that number they are a bumle bee of some type and are only active for half the year...... They're the ones that pollinate all your flowers...

Hi, all. My husband has found a bees next in his shed/workshop in my garden, underneath a cabinet he has in there. From what we can see there's approximately 30 or so. I would like some information on what to do. I don't want to kill them, seeing as they are bees, if it was wasps the spray would go straight in! If there is anyone in East Yorkshire who could advise me what to do it would be greatly appreciated.

Wasps have a useful role to play in the garden, even if they are stroppy and hard to love.

:iagree: (was intended for the post before last, but I agree with the last one too).
Aren't you lucky! They won't bother you if you leave them alone, and don't worry that you will be swamped in bees. The nest won't grow much more if at all, and will die back in autumn.

Last edited:
Was asked to remove an active swarm of honey bees today - turned out to be bumble bees living under a shed :(

If it is bumblebees (which it does sound like) then the small colony, normally only up to 200 or so, will die out in the autumn. If at all possible coexist and give them shedspace until them. Normally its fairly hard to provoke them into stinging.

If your unsure if they are bumblebees try google images for a match, whilst there are many varieties of bumblebee in the UK most are very distinct from honeybees.

HI
how weird is that.
my husband too has found a bee's nest in the shed under the wooden cabinet and more weird is i too live in east yorkshire. i havent found out what kind they are yet though. they have little orange/yellow bottoms and get really miffed with us each time we go in the shed,although they buzz around us they havent stung us so we aren't bothered about them being there.... j

If they are getting in through a hole close to the nest from outside you could maybe build something around it so they cant fly in the shed but can get in & out, if i had one in my shed i would get nothing done for watching them , lucky you :)

Could you possibly take a picture? I could identify them then and give you some idea of when the nest will mature. There are a few pinky, orange tailed species in Britain :)

Latest posts

Back