I’m on my way!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No ... it's OK - there for the right reasons and hardly competition.

If a male only beekeeping group was formed, would that be accused of being sexist?

bringing in gender to the equation just encourages extremists to get involved. Surely it would be better to aim for a gentle, supportive, non critical group for anyone and just exclude anyone who broke those views. admittedly most of the excluded would be men, but I suspect not all. Sex is not an exclusive indicator of unpleasantness

Glad it’s not just me. As I said in a previous post I’m impossible to offend but being looked down on for being ignorant is another thing entirely and I can’t abide pomposity. Any recommendations for friendlier places to ask questions?
I joined this forum as a complete novice and found it to be the most helpful, informative & friendly place to be when the bees have completely confounded you and you haven’t a clue what to do next.
The high drop out rate (in my experience) is from people who start beekeeping with good intentions but expect them to follow the books or do everything by the book without allowing for a dozen other variables (climate, temperature, forage, lack of rainfall, crop spraying, thunderstorms, your brand of fragrance, the colour of your gloves….).
It’s very complex, there is a huge amount of learning - written and practical and the huge amount of experience on this forum is very valuable. You have ever type of beek on here from complete novices to bee farmers. One hive to hundreds.
No-one is trying to knock you down or deride your lack of knowledge, people want you to succeed which is why they are trying to offer helpful advice and suggestions. It will help you in the long run and hopefully you won’t harm your bees or yourself.

aim for a gentle, supportive, non critical group
It is quite easy to criticise constructively without vitriol, rudeness, unkindess and pomposity, but only if the will is there to make the effort to do it.

Sex is not an exclusive indicator of unpleasantness
Yes, gender is not relevant when it comes to debate or learning, and any discussion without constructive criticism sounds like an exceedingly slow way to learn. Support need not necessarily be gentle and can be most useful and effective when given robustly, and the kindest advice offered can be the blunt truth.

New person posts, usual forum members (and even moderators) take their usual stance.

Then moderators mentioned. This keeps happening with newbees.

Hmmmmm wonder if that penny will ever drop with them?

Mr Pirate. This job is not an easy one. We have spates of being invaded by trolls. One I can quote said, before he was removed, that we couldn’t stop him as he had other personas already here…. Sleepers. You can hardly blame the two of us who are most active here for being suspicious.
Maybe we just have one good cop and two bad ones? 😉

New person posts, usual forum members (and even moderators) take their usual stance.

Then moderators mentioned. This keeps happening with newbees.

I'm not sure pennies dropping is pertinent. Over the years we have seen newbies turn up absolutely saturated with good intentions and buzzing with misplaced enthusiasm. Sadly, mostly, their plans for the future of beekeeping are utterly unrealistic in this universe. An abnormally high proportion of these newbies seem to belong to the entitled generation and regard any comments from competent beekeepers, that try to shift their misconceptions towards reality as personal attacks. Fortunately there is a killfile for the most irritating if the mods haven't severed their connection already (I refer to ignore poster setting).
However, generally after a few weeks into exposure to real bees and the perplexing situations they can create, the realities creep in and it becomes obvious that the advice that caused such angst was true and valid. Some of us do our best to give honest advice and even training to newbies but sometimes it's an uphill struggle and we find a very small number of new students have such entrenched views it's hard to correct them without a bit of plain speaking.. Sometimes a few continue to keep bees for years despite their stubbornness although their colonies have to survive in spite of the conditions they are faced with. (Matchsticks anyone?)
That's when we find the difference between "experienced" beekeepers and "competent" beekeepers

I'm not sure pennies dropping is pertinent. Over the years we have seen newbies turn up absolutely saturated with good intentions and buzzing with misplaced enthusiasm. Sadly, mostly, their plans for the future of beekeeping are utterly unrealistic in this universe. An abnormally high proportion of these newbies seem to belong to the entitled generation and regard any comments from competent beekeepers, that try to shift their misconceptions towards reality as personal attacks. Fortunately there is a killfile for the most irritating if the mods haven't severed their connection already (I refer to ignore poster setting).
However, generally after a few weeks into exposure to real bees and the perplexing situations they can create, the realities creep in and it becomes obvious that the advice that caused such angst was true and valid. Some of us do our best to give honest advice and even training to newbies but sometimes it's an uphill struggle and we find a very small number of new students have such entrenched views it's hard to correct them without a bit of plain speaking.. Sometimes a few continue to keep bees for years despite their stubbornness although their colonies have to survive in spite of the conditions they are faced with. (Matchsticks anyone?)
That's when we find the difference between "experienced" beekeepers and "competent" beekeepers
From my own observations, you are one of those I consider to be the problem with a certain cohort of well aged beekeepers.

Let's be honest. It's boxes and bees, its not difficult. Not one person has the right answer (though you like to beleive you do as you have just demonstrated). We all just do our thing our way. The difference I observe in generations is that the younger ones like to try new things and are well versed in sharing skills and ideas. Those of your make up don't. You like to do things your way and show resentment to someone doing it their way.

That's just my personal observation.

As an example; what cohort is it really that did the whole matchstick argument thing? The newbies or the "more experienced" of the group?

Back