Hygienic behaviour and chalkbrood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yield was miserable. When I look the worst year during last 40 years, this year is half from that. Too much rain during rape blooming in July. Rape season was badly minus. When hives should bring 40-60 kg, they consumed 30 kg existing yield stores.

Yield is half of your worst ever year? Welcome to the world of British beekeeping sir.

IT seems to be common, that bee breeders think that hygienic behavior helps in chalkbrood. (Coloss, UK University)

Back to the original post. Finman, have you ever actuality installed hygienic stock in a chalkbrood colony? Stock that was tested for hygienic behaviour?

I agree with you that there is resistance to chalkbrood in honeybees, and it is different than the hygienic behaviour. But the hygienic behaviour is a valuable tool.

In '98, I sent 400 colonies to Florida for the winter. They came home stinky rotten with chalk. I requeened with hygienic carniolan stock. If you could have seen the results, you wouldn't say what you do. Take what I say as some kind of attempt to reach out to you, and not as a criticism. There are lots of things going on out there Finman, that you haven't experienced. Doesn't mean they aren't real or that they aren't valuable.

Back to the original post. Finman, have you ever actuality installed hygienic stock in a chalkbrood colony? Stock that was tested for hygienic behaviour?

I agree with you that there is resistance to chalkbrood in honeybees, and it is different than the hygienic behaviour. But the hygienic behaviour is a valuable tool.

I

I just wrote that hygienic behaviour is a wrong tool in chalkbrood

I had 10 years a bad chalkbrood , that my all hives showed sign of mummies. I weeded the disease off my yard by changing genepool. I reared lots queens in contaminated mating hives, and I discarded all which showed holes in brood area. IT took 4-5 years.

As far as I know, no bee breeder in Finland tests hygienic behaviour..

Last edited:
I had Carniolan bees 10 years. They had quite good resistancy against chalk. But their swarming was impossible and I returned to Italian bees. Then then the chalk bursted and I decided that I cannot continue this way.

I saw that when I put immune queen in a sick hive, its brood area became next week perfectly even. That was the way to go.

. No one helped me and no one spoke about chalk. Later many told that they had the same problem.

Best immune queens I bought from Italy.

Last edited:
Chalk resistance is fairly easy to find, but it is not the same as hygienic behavior. This does not mean hygienic behavior has no value, but it suggests that more than one trait should be pursued. Finman started this thread stating to select for hygienic behavior. He has been selecting bees for chalkbrood specific resistance. His description suggests that the resistance is present in the larvae and is not necessarily a result of hygienic traits.

There is documented resistance to AFB that is associated with hygienic behavior.

There is documented resistance to EFB that may be associated with hygienic behavior, but is not necessarily correlated with AFB resistance. Research years ago produced AFB resistant bees that were very susceptible to EFB.

There are several varroa tolerance traits at least one of which is positively correlated with hygienic behavior.

If beekeepers truly want to improve their bees, it seems to me that we should put our heads together and establish bee breeding programs targeted toward breeding for a broad range of disease and pest tolerances. Does this sound like any breeding programs currently in progress?

Oh, and JBM's job at Trump's old ladies tea party pavilion is secure. He managed to mis-read the thread and made a comment that is off in left field.

Hygienic behaviour and immunity are totally different things. A right medicine to wrong disease

- The most easy is to get ridd of EFB. Get a new bee stock. Very simple.

- You get ridd of chalk when you buy immune queen. Companies offer chemicals which works on chalk, but MAAREC says that there are no chemical treatment against chalk. Very few says that buy new queens to whole apiary

- Resistance against AFB has been breeded really long time, but it has not succeeded. There are variations in resistance but not immunitet.

- And Danish say that they have bred Nosema immunitet.

According the test bees clean off a violated larva or pupa. The test does not measure immunity.
In the test brood is dead. And it measures, how fast the bees clean the body.

The pupae are killed in the test. Nothing to do immunity genes.

Hygienic behaviour and immunity are totally different things. A right medicine to wrong disease.

Hygienic eotjs when brood is sick, anc hoh see holes in the brood area.
In immunity brood does not get the disease.

- The most easy is to get ridd of EFB. Get a new bee stock. Very simple.

- You get ridd of chalk when you buy immune queen. Companies offer chemicals which works on chalk, but MAAREC says that there are no chemical treatment against chalk. Very few says that buy new queens to whole apiary

- Resistance against AFB has been breeded really long time, but it has not succeeded. There are variations in resistance but not immunity.

- And Danish say that they have bred Nosema immunity.

Oh, and JBM's job at Trump's old ladies tea party pavilion is secure. He managed to mis-read the thread and made a comment that is off in left field.

Better than being firmly entrenched in cloud cuckoo land.

Latest posts

Back