Hygiene and National Bee Unit Inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiat500bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Firstly, I think it's important to say that I registered with "Beebase" as soon as I started beekeeping, I have not been beekeeping long enough in this unusual year to have been inspected yet, I will always be open to an inspection and I have no reason to think that the inspectors are anything other than complete professionals in every way.................But I was thinking about the implications for all these horrible and infectious diseases that bees can get, which have parallels with our own health precautions, as has been distinctly highlighted this year. Obviously an NBU inspector will use clean gloves, clothing and tools for each different apiary and will presumably change gloves between hives? But isn't it a risk in having in your apiary, a person who will, by definition, be having regular contact with a variety of sources of bee diseases? I'm just thinking...possible "superspreader"?

Last edited:
I've had two SBIs inspect my hives, one last week, and have always (I've had 4 inspections in total) been impressed by their rigorous precautions. Religiously cleaning hive tools between hives in a very strong washing soda solution and the bellows of the smoker covered with a plastic bag. I've never actually heard of a case of SBIs being a "superspeader" but I suppose it could happen if they were not so thorough.

Firstly, I think it's important to say that I registered with "Beebase" as soon as I started beekeeping
Well done, it's the sensible and responsible thing to do
Obviously an NBU inspector will use clean gloves, clothing and tools for each different apiary and will presumably change gloves between hives?
They don't change gloves between hives in the same apiary, nor clothes between apiaries however if disease is found, full biosecurity measure would be put in place, they wouldn't just wander from a disease ridden apiary and go on to the next inspection without a full cleandown

and the bellows of the smoker covered with a plastic bag.
The wheeze they have now is to buy disposable shower caps and change them between apiaries

Firstly, I think it's important to say that I registered with "Beebase" as soon as I started beekeeping, I have not been beekeeping long enough in this unusual year to have been inspected yet, I will always be open to an inspection and I have no reason to think that the inspectors are anything other than complete professionals in every way.................But I was thinking about the implications for all these horrible and infectious diseases that bees can get, which have parallels with our own health precautions, as has been distinctly highlighted this year. Obviously an NBU inspector will use clean gloves, clothing and tools for each different apiary and will presumably change gloves between hives? But isn't it a risk in having in your apiary, a person who will, by definition, be having regular contact with a variety of sources of bee diseases? I'm just thinking...possible "superspreader"?

I've had three inspections in the last 20 years. Highly professional and educational. The second SB Inspectress visited my apiary and that of another local beek and afterwards gave us both a wonderful hug. An added bonus, never forgotten.....

Definitely pre covid then 😊
I took my 1st inspectress to lunch midway through inspecting 8 sites, never got a hug tho.😢

The second SB Inspectress visited my apiary and that of another local beek and afterwards gave us both a wonderful hug.

I'm sure that these days the inspectress will be an inspector ;) and no-one would have minded even if they had misunderstood you regarding the gender of the hugger. :).....it must have been pre-Covid because nowadays the inspector would potentially have more than a bit of foulbrood to spread. :)

All of the bee inspectors equipment is cleaned and sterilised before they touch your bees. Hive tools in washing soda, new gloves and a clean bee suit ( they normally have 3 ) and the smoker is scrubbed before/after use.
If they find a notifiable disease during their work everything they were wearing goes into a bin bag and is sealed up.
You cannot as a bee inspector carry any of your own equipment in your work vehicle, most have a dedicated vehicle for it as the equipment cannot be mixed or plastic boxes so it's easy to swap over.

Pens seem to be the downfall of most hygiene practices people never wash pens. Write notes with their gloves on the pen covered in propolis but never wash it.

Been inspected 3 times over the years, same brilliant master beek woman who got promoted to RBI and then to MAFF (as it used to be) and has now buggered off to Africa. Last visit some 6 years ago she marked and clipped a couple of Qs for me too. Sadly missed.

You cannot as a bee inspector carry any of your own equipment in your work vehicle, most have a dedicated vehicle
Most? none of the ones I know (which is quite a few) have dedicated vehicles.

Most? none of the ones I know (which is quite a few) have dedicated vehicles.
A lot told me they did when I was at the NBU.
Or plastic boxes to make it easy to swap over.

Last edited:
I have had 5 inspections in 10 years of beekeeping.

One when I started and registered on Beebase.

The next was 5 years later when I made my first spring inspections, saw what I thought was AFB and informed my local Bee Inspector.. Visit followed, AFB confirmed.
I killed all affected bees and next week burned all affected hives parts# whilst BI flamed all internals of affected hives.

#CBs, frames and foundation, entrance blocks. (Spring so no QEs)

Another inspection next moth to get all clear.
Another inspection next year to check all clear.

No more inspections since.

None of the BIs I met had dedicated vehicles although most had 4x4s..essential for some of the terrain they visit.

A lot told me they did when I was at the NBU.
Or plastic boxes to make it easy to swap over.
Plastic boxes, yes. But do you honestly think that someone on a part time E.O. wage is going to spend the whole lot of it on a dedicated works car?

Plastic boxes, yes. But do you honestly think that someone on a part time E.O. wage is going to spend the whole lot of it on a dedicated works car?
Some do yes, they buy a cheap banger especially if they are a one car household like a lot are. A lot that do the job are retired from something else.
I can only go by what I was told by the people that do the job. I asked the question at interview and that is what I was told as an answer.
Sorry it doesn't fit what you think.

Latest posts

Back