Hungry Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachelw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 colony from last year and 1 swarm I caught in May
Hello again

Well yesterday I thought I was beginning to get it! Today I'm back to square one feeling like I don't know anything!

I have two colonies - one is a swarm that I caught and hived in May. They are in my garden at the moment and seem to be doing well with good stores and are multiplying quickly.

My other colony is in a field about two miles away. They were originally a nuc that I bought in May 2010. Last year was disatrous and I lost my queen late in the year so I split the hive and over wintered two small colonies. I really expected to loose both over winter but in the event one survived and seemed to be thriving. I think the queen must have mated in autumn last year.

Unfortunately I have neglected them this last couple of weeks due to elderly parent in hospital but wasn't too worried as two weeks ago they seemed fine - I had put a super on so I thought they would have plenty of space and as the swarm in the hive in my garden (only 2 miles away) had plenty of stores - I assumed they would too.

I have just been to see them this evening. They were VERY angry! I was stung twice - only the 3rd and 4th sting I have had since starting two years ago. I didn't find the queen - but there was sealed brood, larvae in all stages and plenty of eggs all on eight frames. There was only one and a half frames of honey/nectar and one frame was at the end was just drawn comb. The super I put on two weeks ago had plenty of bees in drawing the comb - but no nectar. There were also 4 empty queen cups - they were definitely empty.

Thinking they must be hungry I dashed home and made up some 1:1 syrup and gave them this.

My questions: -

1. Were they angry because they were hungry?

2. How can you tell the difference between play cups and serious queen cells?

3. Should I be thinking about an artificial swarm?

4. Why would two colonies only 2 miles apart have such different levels of stores?

Sorry if I sound really dim - sometimes I think I will never get the hang of this!!!

Thank you in advance for any advise.

Best wishes

Rachelnot worthy

There was only one and a half frames of honey/nectar

Not exctly starving, were they? Down to their last four kilos, so not a disaster.

1. Were they angry because they were hungry?

Defending their last stores, possibly. Possibly all at home, but if drawing comb they appear to be expecting a flow ...

2. How can you tell the difference between play cups and serious queen cells?

Serious ones have a larva in each.

3. Should I be thinking about an artificial swarm?

Yes, but not necessarily. I always think about it, usually relieved that I don't need to.

4. Why would two colonies only 2 miles apart have such different levels of stores?

Different bees, different forage, different local weather conditions due to site topography? Different size of colony, differing health (particularly varroa loading?). Different anything, really, including your management of them. You need to compare and see for yourself.

Not my post but what a useful reply 0 90. Thanks for making stuff clear.

Thank you Oliver90.

As the previous posters have said a clear concise answer. I feel reassured! But I dare say by the end of the week I'll be panicking about something else :rolleyes:

Rachel

What time in the evening did you inspect? If it was getting a bit late then most of the flying bees would be home and after a hard day foraging they can be a bit grumpy at times.

If the bees are making good progress on drawing out the super they will be consuming plenty of stores to do this and as they now have an empty super they will have to work that bit harder to keep the brood warm and that also takes stores.

They sound like they are doing just great to me

Two major factors affect temperament.

Main one of course is the queen.

However the bees are intensely sensitive to weather and especially thunder. If it is sultry/humid they are highly likely to be more defensive than normal.

PH

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It was quite late when I inspected - about 8.30, so maybe they were wanting an early night!

Latest posts

Back