Hungarian Beehives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodzylla

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Hello Guys/Girls Beekeeper mates!

I thougt mb someone ineterested in beehives, as much as me, i am a fanatic :D. So i want to share our beehive types, and frames with you guys. I try to write everything about them :) if you have any question about them, feel free to talk about it !:) I will write about our most used hive types in hungary:)

So , here is the first one, our most used hive in hungary:

We call this Nagyboconádi hive (kaptár in our language :p).

1062.png

Size:

anya11m.png

Size change by how many frames we use. Usually we use 15-16-18-24 frame in a hive like this.

Here is the frame:
keret.JPG

Size:
nbkeretmeret.png

Our second hive called "Hunor" , this is a "langstroth" like hive.

Its looks like this:
hunor_kaptar.jpg

Size: (with 10 frame)
hf4.png

Frame and size :
keret4.png

And this is Fél Nagyboconádi Hive, ( half nagyboconadi) the frame is size is half of our great frame.

Hive:

4felNB.jpg

Size:

tamasirakodo5.png

Frame Size:

felnbkeretn.png

And this is a hive we do not like, we feel this is a bullshit:

This is the hungarian rotating Hive, you can read about this here:

http://www.imkerei.com/articles/us/rotating_broodnest.htm

Fast picture, if you got no interest in this :)

rotating_beehive_5.jpg

We use sometimes special frames:

we call this "hízlalt keret" :

20110317130148_kep-145.jpg

Size:

hizfelnb1.png

Last edited:
We call this Nagyboconádi hive...

The frames have the same comb area as the German einraumbeute. Interestingly, the frames are the same height as the Danish trough hive, but they're about 1/3 wider. Wow... 19 frames! That makes this hive the same size as 3.5 British National brood boxes, or one 14x12 plus 3.5 honey supers.

Our second hive called "Hunor".

Same frame width as the other one, but a shallower frame. A single hunor box has almost as much comb area as a 14x12 (I'm assuming 10 frames).

And this is Fél Nagyboconádi Hive, ( half nagyboconadi) the frame is size is half of our great frame.

It seems that a single Fél Nagyboconádi box has 1.5 times the comb area as a British National super.

Am I close?

Thanks for your reply:)

Yes, you are close. Our beekeeping culture have a lot of roots in germany. :) Mb these kind of hives are not new for you, but its a good information about my country. Here in hungary everybody edit something in its own way. Only the frame sizes similar, but sometimes we make personal frames too. I think hungary is a little bit mad in "hive" technologies. Everybody make his own stuff, and develop something, but no one read about foreign technologies. Thats what i don't love in my country.

Last edited:
I really do wish that UK frame manufacturers would use single piece bottom bars.

Nagyboconádi hive... looks a bit like the Uk Darlingtom monster.. is the entrance under the floor?
How do you provide for ventilation and insulation as I believe you can get quite a harsh range of weather in Central Europe... Hot dry Summers and very cold Winters.
Opposite to UK that has mild wet Summers and colder wet Winters.

Good information
Yeghes da

I use old towels, and old newspapers for insulation, but we can use styrofoam, and stronger plastic film, like on poly tunnels.

For ventilation we can tighteen the entrance when autum/:D winter is coming :D

Our old hives was made from reed, close like to this, but with fewer wood, on these hives we don't used any insulation, because reed was awesome:

nb18_11-large.jpg

Anyway, our bees ( apis mellifera carnica pannonica) can survive winter very well. Our greatest problem is mould, beceause our weather is very dump here at my village. I live between 2 river, and a lot of lilttle lake :D

sometimes for queen rearing we use 24 fram Nagyboconadi hive. On that hive the insulation is a little bit harder because you have to work more.

The 24 frame hive is like to this:)

kaptar2.jpg

On plastic hives we don't use any insulation. For ventilation they got great ?blow-hole? at the bottom of the hive , Like these two hive bottom:

10888246_963661343662450_1630023286_n.jpg

Pic is too great, i give you link for this.

Also sorry for the lot of picture, but sometimes i can't find the right word in english.

Last edited:
It has been in use since 100 years ago. (before the SBB madness)
The entrances are usually on the lower part of the front.

Many thanks dodzylla... excellent post!

I like the reed sided hive and the multiple entranced mating "Nuc".

Your English is very good... better than my Hungarian... or even my Cornish!!!!

Yeghes da

hunor_kaptar.jpg

I find the joints used on this box very, very interesting.

My limited woodworking knowledge tells me that these modified butt joints (with those vertical slats) should be fairly strong -- stronger even than lap joints, without having to cut the joints into the wood.

Any comments from woodsavvy beekeepers?

... I find the joints used on this box very, very interesting.
Any comments from woodsavvy beekeepers?

I use those joints on my compost bin where I don't have to worry about squashing bees. In a hive I would find them awkward to use, but on the other hand, they will have the same benefit as the lips in Modern Beekeeping (Bee Box) hives in that the boxes won't slip when moving them.

I'm not a savvy woodworker, though - so can't comment on the strength.

I want to be a woodworker beekeper too. I will buy my equipment soon, so I want to make my own hives. What I can say now, these hives are very strong, but need much more time to make them because of these butt joints.

Latest posts

Back