Human Reasources anyone ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'
More and more people are asking for Cover letters with CVs, so the CV states the factually key information clearly and the cover letter becomes the reasons for why you are suited to the role and what strengths you have to bring to the role.

Good luck

Looking better, but a lot of the first sections can be moved to the cover letter.

PM me your email and I will send you my CV and cover letter.

What a great response from members !!

Pete has given a lot of time to the forum,helping members by making/uploading videos,so If anyone else has any advice then please chip in and join the converstion..

Pete, this is not a CV, more a biography. A good CV will fit on one side of A4, even if an old fit. You can then provide more information as requested. Even so, you should try and get it on two sides max.

Don't list every job but describe your experience up the top. Your hobbies, while interesting, are not that relevant, so stick them down the bottom.

Likewise, your education, while of interest, does not necessarily determine your current skills, so can be placed elsewhere.

Will PM you a copy of a basic one I use later today fir an example.

Hi pete I have had a quick scan and agree with an earlier post, the first paragraph is a bit too much, I would also question the importance of telling them what you want from them, at the initial point they need to know if you are what they want, maybe I am wrong.

I like the font presume it is arial, size should be 12 This is what I have been told is the most straightforward easy to read font.

if you can send me a word document I am happy to format it get the layout right it will probably take me a fraction of the time that it will for you.

Before milking cows I was admin based so know what do from that angle I must admit it has been interesting for me to see how cvs have changed and developed in the last 10 years we were always told to include age, but as stated really does it matter, they will discover that when they get you through the door.

"we were always told to include age, but as stated really does it matter, they will discover that when they get you through the door."

the full employment history is usually a big clue to within a year or two.

Don't put down age or sex. Unless of course it is a request for sex and then you might answer yes or no. Or maybe.

ok so i have been playing again now how does this lot look , any better.

I amd still not happy with the personal attributes and the covering letter bit so i have broken it down into paragraphs, let me know which ones you do or dont like

Overview:
I am a skilled tradesman starting from a time served plastering apprentice and have over 26 years on site experience. I have worked on a vast range of sites and bring skills in management and construction. These skills allow my employers to make cost and time savings. Good office and man management skills and I can work within teams or on my own. I am now looking for a company that will allow me the potential to reach my full ambition and drive and in so doing so improving the companies’ performance and earnings.

Training courses;
UK Full Driving License. C.S.C.S. Level 4, 4 Day First Aid, SMSTS, IPAF

Employment Details
October 2010 to present
Ibex interiors ltd, £1.2M, seven lift total refurbishment. Site manager
Ibex Interiors Ltd. £3m Department of Work and Pensions, Site manager

March 2010 to October 2010
CCS Ltd. £1.6m house in Potters Bar, Site manager.

February 2010 to March 2010
W.K.Cox Ltd, £20K office refurbishment, Site manager

January 2010 to February 2010
P.A.P.A. Design and Build Ltd, Office refurbishment, £150K Site manager
P.A.P.A. Design and Build Ltd, New Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Senior Section manager

November 08 to February 09
Welconstruct group, £2m, Synergy Health care serialization plant. Site manager

August 08 to November 08,
Welconstruct group Ltd. Jaguar/Land rover training academy Leamington Spa. £880K, Site manager

June 08 to July 08 4 week, agency holiday cover, two sites £1.2m and £18m Site manager

January 08 to June 08
Marbank Construction Ltd. Hoo Farm Ind Est. £7M. Nine industrial units. Site manager

December 01 o January 08
PAPA Design and Build ltd. Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham £680m Senior Section manager
PAPA Design and Build. £1.2M Travel Lodge, Site manager.
PAPA Design and Build LTD. Gibraltar Airport £600k Site manager
PAPA Design and Build LTD. Zurich Insurance Offices £759k, Site manager
PAPA Design and Build LTD. £20k to £203k, site manager/ project manager. Various contracts
PAPA Design and Build LTD, Oxford John Radcliff Hospital. £150m. Senior section manager
PAPA Design and Build LTD, Stratford upon Avon high school. £985k Project manager for Internals Company.
PAPA Design and Build LTD. Electric wharf Coventry. Flats £600k site manager
PAPA Design and Build LTD. Birmingham City Hospital extension £18m Site manager
PAPA Design and Build LTD. Wolverhampton hospital radiology wing, maternity wing and ancillary’s £750k, £24k and £112k project site manager for internal fit out
PAPA Design and Build LTD. Vodafone, Newbury £450 m site section manager

September 1994 – November 01
Employed in Europe, Africa, Middle East and England as a foreman/ site manager, working foreman and partitioner.

September 1989 - August 1994
I was a trade’s man, building walls and ceilings, floors and Metsec walls and external walls. Various sites and countries.

References available on request

covering letter
Dear Sir,

I am applying for your advertised job for a site manager’s position.

I am an enthusiastic, reliable and determined individual with experience in all trade and industry aspects. I carry out my duties with a strong sense of humour and equal discipline. I am an outgoing person with strong leadership skills and drive and a passion for the industry that I work within. I have the fortitude and drive that makes my employers profits and clients satisfied, allowing for further contracts and works to be obtained.

I enjoy the opportunity to use my initiative either on my own or within a team. I am used to working to tight deadlines and even tighter budgets. I am a good communicator and problem solver of technical and trade issues using my trades back ground for good cost effective solutions.

I have experience in fast track works and or the more difficult clients or sites that are having problems. I have a great
wealth of knowledge and experience of office, hospitals, school and colleges and commercial premises. With works covering structural alterations, remedial works, small civils works, internal and external works and working within the live office arena. I have also worked on fraud investigations .

I believe that bringing my skills can help your company by managing contracts better and more efficiently by helping to hit the quality and production target you have. I have been concentrating on my client’s quality satisfaction on my last works by helping to bring in the I Standards quality control system which has helped that employer to maximize profits and to be awarded more works from the same client.

Pete, I hope this isn't too picky, but as an employer I might be confused about the line....."I carry out my duties with a strong sense of humour".

It's a bit ambiguous and could be taken to mean lack of seriousness or perhaps even abruptness. I know what the banter on building sites is like, but the first person to see your CV may be someone in HR etc.
Perhaps something more like "I carry out my duties calmly and with good humour" might be a bit safer.

<lots of stuff> I have also worked on fraud investigations .
<a bit more stuff>

Pete
On the assumption this is out of the ordinary (and a selling point) I would "big it up" a bit more ie not just a one line throw away....

remove vast from overview - use wide instead.

December 01 to January 08 PAPA Design and Build ltd.
then list of projects - looks tidier and better gives impression of continuous "employment".

Latest posts

Back