Huge difference in water content

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've often wondered if we could use a dehydrating cabinet, the sort used to make biltong for example, to help evaporate some of the excess moisture.

Has anyone tried this?
I can't see how it could get into a mass of honey!

I was thinking that it would just help to evaporate the moisture from the surface.

When I thought about it, it was to put uncapped supers (not yet spun) into the device to draw off the moisture,so that the water content was reduced and therefore less likely to ferment.

Then I would be broke. In this part of the country, with my bees I have never had honey with that low a moisture level. Only ever had one bucket ferment
I have had one bucket ferment on me too on a/c of not putting the lid back properly after checking it was ok. Enjoying the fermented honey on my vanilla ice cream and apple pie!

the Brythonic tribes were pushed North and West so what is now known as Cumbria, Northumbria and the North Western counties of modern 'England' and southern Scotland became known as the 'Old North' by the indigenous Brythonic (later Welsh) tribes
So is that a 'yes'?

Is that all the way down or the top inch!
it was in the bucket and when i transferred it to the settling honey tank (two buckets)mixed , i was very worried as the honey was not viscous that i tested it in the comb. as it came out of the extractor and in the buckets and aslo byrefractor and hydrometed that sinks about 7"

If the lower moisture content honey is found at the bottom of your tank as you say then surely as you reduce the M/C of the honey at the top it will descend to the bottom. Or am I being too simplistic?

Just a thought here, could someone in the area have been open feeding sugar water? I’ve see lots of articles on Facebook recently where people have been doing this to “help” the bees.
If your honey contains sugar water could this be an explanation for the separation and difference in readings?

I used to love Latin but the conjugations and declensions did my head in (old Mrs Adams was definitely 'old school, lovely lady but as nutty as a fruitcake) so I drifted out of that, although it did help me when, being very very drunk in Rome during the 150th anniversary of unification and the Taxi driver having no English, I managed to direct him back to our hotel using Latin.
One of the few times I've impressed SWMBO - the first was on our honeymoon at Mont St Michel when my sketchy hang of both Latin and French helped me managed to translade a big bronze plaque outside the monastery!!
Unfortunately, she was less impressed the following day when I caused the young girl manning a rotisserie in Dinard to start crying when I inadvertently asked for a hot, spit roasted prostitute instead of chicken!!
A gentleman who has studied Latin and Ancient Greek can communicate with other gentlemen anywhere in the world, no matter what their nationality.
The problem comes when you meet a gentleman with a Geordie accent.

Latest posts

Back