How tricky is it to give up beekeeping ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They probably will but don’t you recognise mating swarms?

I do not recognise mating swarms as a phenomenon you should know that by now! I have had a few which beeks would call mating swarms, but the queen did not leave the hive...

I do not recognise mating swarms as a phenomenon you should know that by now! I have had a few which beeks would call mating swarms, but the queen did not leave the hive...

Just because you have never witnessed it, doesn't mean it never happens

there's a big difference between a queen going on a mating flight from a nuc and bees in an apidea who obviously haven't got the bees to manage a sizeable entourage.

I think some people's statements come from a lack of knowledge rather than credible observation.

Last edited:
Different reasons, but we're in the process of looking for an new out apiary.
Not great timing, but stick at it, something will come up.
We put a note out on the local hub this year, along the lines of: It's swarm season, you're usually in work and miss it. We'll do our best as usual, but if you see anything, give us a ring.
It seemed to go down reasonably well.
We had one phone call, but the swarm had arrived the day before and gone by the time we got there! :D

Just because you have never witnessed it, doesn't mean it never happens

there's a big difference between a queen going on a mating flight from a nuc and bees in an apidea who obviously haven't got the bees to manage a sizeable entourage.

I think some people's statements come from a lack of knowledge rather than credible observation.

Just because you think you have witnessed it, likewise does not mean to say that it is true. My observations have been on colonies as well and the queens never left the hive so fat chance of them being mated then. As I have said before, in the olden days mating swarms were what we today call cast swarms. I wonder why the name was changed? If beeks go along with you there will be a lot more swarming which is not good for beekeeping particularly as regards having close neighbours! Don't go into one now it is so tiring.

Just because you think you have witnessed it, likewise does not mean to say that it is true. My observations have been on colonies as well and the queens never left the hive so fat chance of them being mated then. As I have said before, in the olden days mating swarms were what we today call cast swarms. I wonder why the name was changed? If beeks go along with you there will be a lot more swarming which is not good for beekeeping particularly as regards having close neighbours! Don't go into one now it is so tiring.

I have a nice video of a swarm taking off after a virgin. Masses of fanning at the entrance and fifteen minutes later a queen coming back with them.

Hi Dani, I can never get your Dropbox videos to work - I just get a message about cookies. Any clues?

Read the bit at the bottom that says continue to video hit that not the play button

Latest posts

Back