How to clean or should I burn

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coconut2018

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have a brood box and super that has been left for 3 years with honey in it. Honey fermented , then was raided by wasps this year. All cells are now empty however the inside of the box has molded along with the wax.

Should I try and clean it or is it gone past the cleaning stage and just burn it all. I did catch a swarm in it this season so thinking of keeping but could it cause any problems with my healthy bees next season.

Remove the frames, scrape out all the crud and burn. Clean the insides and outsides of the boxes using a blowtorch.

As above if box is sound it’s good, even if there’s a odd hole or soft patch in timber fill with 2 pack filler and at worst use as bait hive no reason to burn at all. I would even chuck the wax in a melter if you have 1

Ahh yes a bit of mould that great bee killer and notifiable disease:sos:

Burn as in don't use again or burn with torch the frames and inside to burn again.

Depends if you bought it new and know why bees did not survive in it ?
If you are going to torch it you need to use one of these + a propane bottle

eBay item number:
Not a small camping gaz soldering iron!

Burn and scrape the whole of the inside, get all the propolis off and get into all the corners.... remove the metal or (ugh) plastic runners and replace with new
BeeBase has a link showing beekeepers how to clean used hives.

Yeghes da

eBay item number:

Burn and scrape the whole of the inside, get all the propolis off and get into all the corners.... remove the metal or (ugh) plastic runners and replace with new

Yeghes da
:iagree: Just balance the time and effort and some costs against the price of new equipment to replace it.

eBay item number:

Yeghes da

The bees swarmed and then the rest robbed by wasps then died out. I was supposed to remove the honey then store the BB and supers in the shed but just never gotten around to it. Bad beekeeping i know but its what it is. Wont happen again.

HAaha. Should i burn it all, or just torch the inside and reuse the hive and frames after torching.

Torch the inside of the boxes, with the frames you have a choice:
cut out/recycle the wax, boil the frames and reuse
Or
Chuck the lot on the bonfire

Not much to save in those frames. I would them to dumping place.

I had same kind of combs this summer.
I wondered does the mould poisons move into the wax and spoil the wax.

Even handling that material is not healthy to yourself and to your lungs..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back