how to calm bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happen to be the very lucky inheritor of the Handy Book of Bees, written by A. Pettigrew, (c.1880), from my great grandmother... Beautifully written and presented book, and guess what... In chapter 3, sub-section 7 titled "How to tame and domesticate vicious bees", Pettigrew recommends the same thing:

"Though this properly belongs to the practical part of our book, we may be permitted to say here, that the way to cure vicious bees is to make them acquainted with the sight and form of human beings. A scarecrow or two (what the Scottish folk call "potato bogles"), placed in front of their hives, soon make them all right. The scarecrows can be shifted from one position to another a few times. Some years ago I bought a hive in the country, and placed it amongst the others at home. The bees would not let me near their hive. A bogle was placed in front of it, and to me it was interesting to watch the attack; one or two of the savage creatures were seen eyeing the face of the scarecrow, looking for a tender spot on which to dart. In a few days they became as quiet as the rest."

Interesting crimbo reading eh, anyone want to re-try this archaic practice???

Ben P

i heard a story told by one of the lecturers in gormanstown of how his dad ust to deal with evil colonys.
he hang a white sack filled with straw infront of the hive and let it swing in the breeze. he didnt say if it worked or not so who knows. i prefer to requeen the bad ones rather than play silly buggers with them.

"Though this properly belongs to the practical part of our book, we may be permitted to say here, that the way to cure vicious bees is to make them acquainted with the sight and form of human beings. A scarecrow or two (what the Scottish folk call "potato bogles"), placed in front of their hives, soon make them all right. The scarecrows can be shifted from one position to another a few times. Some years ago I bought a hive in the country, and placed it amongst the others at home. The bees would not let me near their hive. A bogle was placed in front of it, and to me it was interesting to watch the attack; one or two of the savage creatures were seen eyeing the face of the scarecrow, looking for a tender spot on which to dart. In a few days they became as quiet as the rest."

A nice reference Ben, but taken in the context of a skep beekeeper's requirements I'm still not sure whether the claim is that the practice actually calms bees or whether it simply conditions them to seeing passers-by -seems more like the second to me.

Right. I was hoping that someone else would mention this next reference but as it appears that no one is going to do so -Willie Robsons recent book has a very interesting chapter on this subject (but not scare-crows as such) with a few worthwhile thoughts from the author.
I had hoped that someone else would mention it as admin will start thinking that I'm on Robson's payroll the number of times I've mentioned this excellent little book recently -but of course, I'm not.

A nice reference Ben, but taken in the context of a skep beekeeper's requirements I'm still not sure whether the claim is that the practice actually calms bees or whether it simply conditions them to seeing passers-by -seems more like the second to me.

Not trying to encourage the revival of the scarcrow technique, BUT...

After reading Pettigrew, you would be surprised by the amount of manipulations the "skep beekeepers" actually did - certainly not the "burn and raid" that is often misconstrued.

Last edited:
After reading Pettigrew, you would be surprised by the amount of manipulations the "skep beekeepers" actually did - certainly not the "burn and raid" that is often misconstrued.

Yes, i have read Pettigrew, had a couple of copies over the years. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of their manipulations were nowhere near as intrusive as is now possible without a second thought (which is another point -they would have thought before undertaking a manipulation of any sort and they would have had very good understanding of why they were doing it, not sure that's always the case these days; then, they would have chosen their day carefully). Also, it's worth noting that the Pettigrews were rather advanced skep beekeepers -thinking men, who were not wholly respected by some of their more conservative contemporaries.

I'm certainly not dismissing the idea and do appreciate your reference because these were not fools, whether they lived a hundred years ago or not. I'm just trying to see if any of these references are really claiming to do more than accustom the bees to having people in the vacinity.

Last edited:
Yes, i have read Pettigrew, had a couple of copies over the years. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of their manipulations were nowhere near as intrusive as is now possible without a second thought (which is another point -they would have thought before undertaking a manipulation of any sort and they would have had very good understanding of why they were doing it, not sure that's always the case these days; then, they would have chosen their day carefully). Also, it's worth noting that the Pettigrews were rather advanced skep beekeepers -thinking men, who were not wholly respected by some of their more conservative contemporaries.

I'm cerainly not dismissing the idea and do appreciate your reference because these were not fools, whether they lived a hundred years ago or not. I'm just trying to see if any of these references are really claiming to do more than accustom the bees to having people in the vacinity.

Fair do's... I wrongly thought that you were making an assumption without actually read the text, as many do...

I wrongly thought that you were making an assumption without actually read the text...

what me, the man that keeps writing about trying to read between the lines? A damning accusation indeed!!! -But no offence taken, forums tend to bring the cynic out in the best of us.

Back