How much to sell nucs for

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes , BUT how does Jo Public know about "those of us that produce bees here in the UK and have done for years" and probably do it perfectly well ? - Dubious social media? greedy local associations?
Sounds like some associations are firing them out for cheap?

My local one sells 6 frame nucs to beginners at £65 after their course. Which I was a bit shocked about.
Thats truly generous; of course it could be described as a "loss leader", the association hopes to gain members, increase membership etc etc. Are the nucs they sell 'decent bees' ?
My local association gave me a nuc when I started keeping again after a very long break. wouldn't take any money at all, it is just the way they do it, and I would be expected to donate a nuc some time in the future, perhaps to a new keeper - so I know there are generous associations out there.

Inspected by SBI is a requirement with my association from anyone offering nucs for sale and I know the SBI's find it a nuisance.

The "dealers" are already sniffing around.....
We can buy your surplus nucs or bees if you are looking to downsize etc etc
Do I feel a sense of PANIC??? :leaving:
Well, outfits such as Bee Equipment are taking deposits and they must find stock from somewhere, or give refunds.

My local one sells 6 frame nucs to beginners at £65 after their course. Which I was a bit shocked about.

Mine sells for £50 after doing the free beginners course. The deal is £10 down, then the nuc is kept on their site for the season and the beginners get mentored through their first year. At the end of the season if they want to stick with beekeeping they pay the remaining £40 and take their bees.

I do not believe they sell nucs off regularly per se (i.e. not as a loss leader), but if you want one they generally point you in the direction of one of the members.

KR
Re read my post.. Please.
I should have taken my DASH last season... but the COVID-19 seems to have delayed things!

Hopefully this year.

Our own SBI is encouraging me... it means he will not have the pleasure of my company (or not!) inspecting Ca. 150 colonies!

What you did not point out was that there is an audit to complete annually by the beefarmer and a status check up every three years.

The BDI bee disease day events can not compare to DASH.... but for the weekend beekeeper are a very good way to get a handle on what to look for... most will never see AFB or EFB fortunately!

Tragedy is that there was one chap doing the rounds of newbees and advising them that as he had "undertaken" a BDI bee disease day experience... he could "inspect" their bees for them and there was no need for them to bother the SBI!!!

Chons da

Questionnaires for the Dash course went out in January, well that's when I had mine.

How do you deter the "sniffers" from nicking the surveillance cameras..>>>

Good camouflage or put them high in trees then put highly visible signs saying thay are being used.

No idea if my local association sell nucs after courses 🤷‍♂️

I've never taken a course with them, and I haven't seen them say anything about charging.

However, they did email last year (in the comic sans newsletter) saying they had bees available, if anyone wanted them 👍
I messaged back, and said I could take a couple of colonies, if still available. They got back after a while, and said 'only for new members'.
I responded with 'but I am a new member'. They said 'yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but, you've taken insurance for 7 hives, so we're only giving to members with no bees. Will let you know if any are left'

They never asked if I actually had bees, and never got back to me again.

Will see what this year brings 😂🤣😁🤪

My guess is prices will skyrocket as importation ban of nucs and packages from the EU ( and back door NI) hits home.
Yes.....I saw this coming when the vote went in favour of leaving the EU. It's the reason I set up my business last year.
This season I hope to be increasing my own stock and may not have any spare bees to sell. However, if the new season goes anything like the last, anything could be possible!

Yes.....I saw this coming when the vote went in favour of leaving the EU. It's the reason I set up my business last year.
This season I hope to be increasing my own stock and may not have any spare bees to sell. However, if the new season goes anything like the last, anything could be possible!
:love: your AVATAR... best cure for seasickness!

just seen on facbook nucs are not allowed but queens are, anyone know im just going onto beebase to see if any info there

Queens only, no packages, no nucs.
+ loads of paperwork... and the queen cage and all of her little transportation workers have to be sent in for analyses.
Not worth the faff when plenty of good quality home produced queens are availiable

Thats truly generous; of course it could be described as a "loss leader", the association hopes to gain members, increase membership etc etc. Are the nucs they sell 'decent bees' ?
My local association gave me a nuc when I started keeping again after a very long break. wouldn't take any money at all, it is just the way they do it, and I would be expected to donate a nuc some time in the future, perhaps to a new keeper - so I know there are generous associations out there.

I have been thoroughly beaten about the head on here because I sell a few pots of honey at my front door to locals in this rural community for a mere £5 and am blamed for destroying the market for others. God only know what angst I will now reap when I let on that, when I stated beekeeping, an old boy at the BKA I had joined offered me a whole hive to get me going for nowt. It turned out to be very old and run down and by degrees I replaced almost every part. Because I was embarrassed at getting a freebie when I could well afford paying the going rate I paid him in kind with a couple of top quality single malts on his doorstep that he couldn't refuse. The sad part was that people at the BKA had a good old rant because that old boy gave lots of stuff away to beginners like me. He was quite wealthy (no details on here for obvious reasons), had 50 odd hives in four apiaries and sold his honey in London - was a truly lovely person into the bargain in every respect imho. So I'm now waiting for the next instalment of sad comment for taking part in destroying that market too.
:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

You can sell your honey and nucs for whatever you want and I will do likewise with mine. I dare say I could get more for my honey, but am happy with what I get. ( they are not give away prices) . It pays for my hobby with a few quid over. I usually give nucs to those I mentor, who show they are in earnest in their desire to keep bees. I am mainly driven by my desire to spread the love for bees that I have. My few jars of honey are nothing compared to the tons produced by those whose
Iivelihood depends on it

I run my hobby as a business. Give my time and advice free, free honey for my neighbours and close relatives.
All the rest pay open market rates -less a little for Qs and nucs.

Beekeeping is an expensive hobby and many new beekeepers are relatively affluent so they can afford it. Well that's my view.

I take a slightly different approach to those who are not so fortunate.

Back