How much for a swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a new swarm in a box I'd expect to pay nothing as its quality and provenance are unknown. I would, however, give the collector something for his time and effort on my behalf (a bottle of wine perhaps). If the swarm has been housed for a while to check for brood disease and treated for varroa and you're getting some of the collector's kit to keep (frames or even a nuc box) then you should be prepared to pay what s/he asks.

Swarms may come for free but the collector's time and experience are priceless.

How much should one expect to pay for a 5xframe swarm nuc from their local association?

The association may have a price policy based on generation of funds, in which case you take it or leave it. Are the frames and wax or nuc box included?
There's time and effort expended to collect a swarm so expect to pay a sensible amount which up in my part of the country I would say £50 could be ok with return of box and new frames + foundation. London prices probably much more.

I am being asked £140 without box. Swarm I believe was captured earlier this year but just seems high when I could pay the same from proven commercial outlet.

That does seem high. I am guessing this it London beekeepers as I understand they charge for swarms.

So many questions regarding swarms and a good few that are just not known, especially relating to the queen.

Considering the price of Bees this Year is LOW, at Lincoln and Beverley Auctions, where colonies of bees were for sale, inspected, with notes attached, including complete hives (roof, floor, stands, bb and some with supers), and they sold at auction for between £96 and £120, and Lincoln sold for less. It was cheaper to purchase a hive with bees, than an empty WBC which sold for £130 without bees! £140 does seem expensive.

Need to replace all the frames and foundation and some money for the time and petrol etc.
I don't think you should expect to get it for nothing.
E

I absolutely agrre that they should not be free,

I was perhaps wrongly expecting something nearer to the £50-80 mark though, which i think more reasonable relative to commercial costs.

Well, Swarm collection £20? 5 Frames with Foundation £10? Money for the trouble £20?
That's £50.

If varroa treated and cared for and queen marked, perhaps another £10?

So, pushing the boat out £60.

I would have difficulty getting from there to £140 for unproven bees.

This is a classic "supply / demand" quandary. :ohthedrama:

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it and there's always the "London waiting" levy.

Don't forget, Tube drivers salaries are not dissimilar to that of an "up-t-north" barrister.

A fool and his money are easily separated. :sifone:

Why should there be a charge for a swarm ?

Are we not collecting swarms to increase our own stocks or replace winter losses in the first instance (an early prime swarm or two)

Any subsequent caught swarms are passed on to fellow beeks in need, which tends to be newer beeks starting out who hope to keep start-up costs down

Any costs incurred are minimal and accepted if you add yourself to the swarm collectors list

I charge for being called out to collect swarms but pass them on for free. I think if I'd housed it on frames, given it a feed and varroa treatment, then I'd charge something commensurate with the materials and effort, not £140 though :eek:

In my association beginners are given swarms for nothing (+ help with hiving, disease check, marking queen etc) and if strain turns out not suitable they will be requeened for nothing. Helping others get started is an important role of an association (many are registered charities aren't they) in my view but there are always mercenary people out there looking for a quick buck that prey on beginners. I was given my first bees many decades ago and fully appreciated the gesture so am always happy to set up new members in a similar way.

Remember your BBKA public liability insurance is at risk if you charge for swarms...

'You are covered provided it is part of your normal beekeeping activities. If you charge reasonable expenses then this will not affect your cover. If, however, you make a business out of swarm collection this would be viewed differently. You would need normal Commercial Insurances for this business activity which is not covered by the BBKA policy.'

Last season, I sold two swarms for £30 each. Both swarms came with 5 frames and no promises. Both people buying were told they were newly collected swarms. The only thing I did with them was make sure the queen had started to laying. If I had had them a bit longer, then my price would have gone up to reflect the extra feeding and effort but I certainly wouldn't expect to get more than £50 even then.

Why should there be a charge for a swarm ?

Are we not collecting swarms to increase our own stocks or replace winter losses in the first instance (an early prime swarm or two)

Any subsequent caught swarms are passed on to fellow beeks in need, which tends to be newer beeks starting out who hope to keep start-up costs down

Any costs incurred are minimal and accepted if you add yourself to the swarm collectors list

A lovely sentiment Dadnlad, and if you are happy to do this, then good on you. I however, am not.

I think the question to ask is how is that £140 going to be used by the association. At one extreme maybe it's going to be used for the greater good, at the other extreme maybe it's going to an individual.

Latest posts

Back