How much fondant to buy?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelenX

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None any more
I have decided that now is the time to order my first fondant, so I can put some on my lightest hives, and have some in stock ready for when the others need it.

Can anyone please advise me how much to order? I have 6 colonies going into the winter - 4 with a super of syrup underneath, and two in just brood boxes. I am not at all sure these two have anough stores, even though I had feeders on them until they stopped taking syrup.

Thanks in advance,
Helen

Take a ride over to ANGLIAN BAKERY & CATERING SUPPLIERS LTD, this was a tip given to me and you will get a lot more for a lot less....

:iagree: Have used them myself but be aware they only do cash sales not card.

ZZ

;)

I just made my own fondant letting it cool down I will see how it turns out in the morning

Depends on your bees, depends on the weather to come and depends on the level of stores already present. Not a very helpful answer but probably accurate.

So depending on your answers to the above the amount of candi required could fluctuate from 0 to 7.5kgs per hive or more.

Most bees will be fine with a full brood box of stores.

Hi Helen,
spoke to Joe at Bakery and Catering supplier in Nowich as mentioned in earlier post, part of his reply below
'We do supply fondant in 12.5kg blocks at £14.95. Unfortunately sugar has risen sharply in the last two months which has led to a knock on increase in fondant.'
its not the cheapest but my wife is going to Norwich tomorrow and I have managed to persuade her to drop in and get me a couple of blocks, if you or any other local beekeeper wants to add to her shopping list and collect from me you would be more than welcome.
PM is best
regards
Pete D

Hi Helen,
spoke to Joe at Bakery and Catering supplier in Nowich as mentioned in earlier post, part of his reply below
'We do supply fondant in 12.5kg blocks at £14.95. Unfortunately sugar has risen sharply in the last two months which has led to a knock on increase in fondant.'
its not the cheapest but my wife is going to Norwich tomorrow and I have managed to persuade her to drop in and get me a couple of blocks, if you or any other local beekeeper wants to add to her shopping list and collect from me you would be more than welcome.
PM is best
regards
Pete D

The more you buy the cheaper they get, I bought 10 boxes from them and they cost £11s something. It might be worth asking how many you have to buy to get that price, plus they have a use by date of Oct 2012 anyway, so could use again for the bees next winter. Not sure the use by date matters that much for bees anyway....
Also, they will deliver orders over £50 for free...

Last edited:
yeah...... luv would you my picking up 125 kg of fondant for me and some of the lads and lasses I spend so much time with on the forum when I should be ..... :laughing-smiley-004

I know the swift response I would get.... :seeya:

BL

For anyone in the Newark area I understand the baker on the market will sell 12.5Kg bags for a tenner. Possibly a bit far from Norfolk mind.

even though I had feeders on them until they stopped taking syrup.

Still time to make a quick check, if weather is warm enough. If full up, you are unlikely to need more than a 12.5kg block for the two colonies. What is more important than fondant at this very present time is something to check the weight of the hive. That investment may well be saved in the winter (less than the cost of the single block of fondant and a better indicator than pure guesswork).

You could also steal three frames from each of your other colonies to place under these two? More than one way to 'skin a cat' as they used to say.

Regards, RAB

Hi Helen,
PM is best
regards
Pete D

Many thanks Pete (and Mrs Pete) - PM sent!
Helen

You could also steal three frames from each of your other colonies to place under these two? More than one way to 'skin a cat' as they used to say.

Why didn't I think of that? Many thanks,
Helen

Who is the baker please?

For anyone in the Newark area I understand the baker on the market will sell 12.5Kg bags for a tenner. Possibly a bit far from Norfolk mind.

Do you know the name of the baker please? I think there are a few in that area. Only 22 miles away so nearer and cheaper than Mr T.

Thank you

i work for a supermarket and its possible to ask your isb bakery to buy fondant

better not be Tescos :( :rolleyes:

Fondant is a lot cheaper than buying a nuc of bees.

Better to spend another £10-15, rather than wish you had. And also better to stick a big slab on rather than mess about with a few small tubs, disturbing the bees each time you have to refill/replace it.

I would go with 3 blocks.

If they dont use it, make it into thin syrup for spring feed.

Latest posts

Back