How many first year beeks quit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a norm, I only read posts and don't contribute my own views, but this reminds me of my experiences when I started 12 years back. It seemed to me that every colony I had suffered from nosema to some degree, some very severe and which I terminated, but most struggled through the spring and eventually recovered. Those that did were put through a Bailey comb change as soon as they were fit enough to get rid of remaining spores on the wax, and from then expanded quite well but never enough to get back to producing a full crop later on that year but enough to see them through the following winter. I will add that each incident was confirmed via microscopic examination. Furthermore, this was when Fumidil B could be added to the winter feed which sorted most problems, so when it was banned it seemed a blow even though it was the correct decision.
Alongside this I used to feed 1:1 sugar syrup in order to increase laying and was fed up with the mixture becoming contaminated with black mouldy scum, so looked into how this could be dealt with. That's how I came across thymol and by mixing in a very small amount into the syrup, this would stop the mould growth, which it did. I also started putting thymol into the 2:1 winter feed after reading Ron Brown's book "Beekeeping - A Seasonal Guide". My main crop is Himalayan balsam which is taken off in September which doesn't allow much time to sugar-up for winter so that the bees can bring the water content down sufficiently to prevent fermentation. Ron recommended the use of thymol to help prevent fermentation. He used thymol in sugar syrup mixtures after reading one of R.O.B. Manley's books who, with hundreds of colonies had no experience of nosema, and neither did Ron subsequently. Since using thymol, I have not seen any nosema in the last 9 years and I regularly test every year, not only for my own bees but for others. It seems reasonable to assume that thymol, which kills off fungus, will also have an adverse affect on nosema, itself a fungus. You can get details of the Manley thymol mixture from www.dave-cushman.net.
So don't think you are a bad beekeeper, or that it's not worth it, if you have had problems in your first year. I'm sure this happens to everyone starting off. Beekeeping is one of those activities that you really do learn from your mistakes. Those that don't make mistakes are those that don't recognise them as such. If you stick with it, you may end up helping others to start. I find running training sessions and courses to be very rewarding and I realise that I've still a lot to learn, even from new beekeepers. I now treat my "disasters" as training aids. In retrospect, they can appear quite amusing, even though they were far from that at the time, but each one contains a powerful message which others will remember.

Since using thymol, I have not seen any nosema in the last 9 years and I regularly test every year, not only for my own bees but for others. It seems reasonable to assume that thymol, which kills off fungus, will also have an adverse affect on nosema, itself a fungus. You can get details of the Manley thymol mixture from www.dave-cushman.net.
There has been quite a few scientific studies on thymol and it's use against nosema, the usual one quoted is the one conducted by the universities of Ege and Thrace
And for a better way of delivering thymol, there is a sticky on here discussing Hivemaker's thymol emulsion mix

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/thymol-recipe-against-nosema-fermentation-of-syrup-feed.6513/

Attachments

• nosema study.pdf
    295.5 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Guys, as an expectant beekeeper (non-overwintered Nuc expected) its good to have these reflections and to realise that things happen and
not to beat ourselves up when it looks like our failure.

Pre Covid I assisted with our local BBKA Apiary training scheme. Each year we would see between 15-25 beginners. Our Association membership has remained roughly constant in the past 3 years and although there are a few retiring beekeepers dropping out or dying, nothing like 15-25 a year.

I reckon on a 50% fallout rate over two years.

We do offer mentoring and that does help- mentored beginners tend to have a MUCH lower fallout rate - c 10to 20%.
But many beginners may be 20 miles away from some mentors so that does not work well.

I'm not sure how indicative the local association numbers are regarding how many new beekeepers quit.

Although I'm currently a member of my local association, and have been for the last couple of years, I won't be renewing my membership again. Not because I'm giving up beekeeping, but because I simply don't have a use for them. I've never been on one of their courses, don't have a mentor, and prefer to find other sources of advice/information. I simply joined up for the insurance that comes along with the associated BBKA membership, not realising at the time that I could join the BBKA directly (which is what I'll be doing next year).

I wonder how many associations survey leaving members to find out why.

Although I'm currently a member of my local association, and have been for the last couple of years, ............. I simply joined up for the insurance that comes along with the associated BBKA membership, not realising at the time that I could join the BBKA directly (which is what I'll be doing next year).
I would check out the cost. My local association membership is £20 which includes WBKA and insurance.
I was a BBKA member last year and I’m pretty sure it was much more than that.

My first year was crap, the queen stopped laying so I swapped her out, the next year I got 81Ibs of honey.
I applied MAQS before wintering and the product killed the queen, it was to late to get another queen and in the end they produced a drone laying queen which is no use to man nor beast.
At the moment I have a hive with about 10 bees in it so will throw them out over the weekend so I can prepare the hive for a new colony expected early April.
It is heartbreaking having spent all that time and money thinking you’ve finally mastered it and then a crap product kills them off.
I’m carrying on because the honey reward I received was fantastic and people I sold my honey to kept coming back and recommend me to others.
It’s a bit like golf, you’ll have a **** round one day but you will remember all day long that one shot of brilliance that you creamed down the fairway and landing on the green a few feet away from the hole.
Stick with it.
You haven't seen my golf! Put the ball off the first tee through the back window of a mercedes parked in the club car park!

- it's so frustrating when you think you're through the first winter successfully - doing right by the bees and they still dwindle away...
I avidly tried to follow all the recommendations (most from this great forum) to overwinter the hive and it still goes to custard!
Anyway - I think I've re-grouped mentally - going to get some bait hives set up - invest less cash - let the bees get on with it and leave it more to 'survival of the fittest!' (With the exception of OA sublimation)
Thanks - it seems most have been through the deep disappointment I've gone through...

You haven't seen my golf! Put the ball off the first tee through the back window of a mercedes parked in the club car park!

- it's so frustrating when you think you're through the first winter successfully - doing right by the bees and they still dwindle away...
I avidly tried to follow all the recommendations (most from this great forum) to overwinter the hive and it still goes to custard!
Anyway - I think I've re-grouped mentally - going to get some bait hives set up - invest less cash - let the bees get on with it and leave it more to 'survival of the fittest!' (With the exception of OA sublimation)
Thanks - it seems most have been through the deep disappointment I've gone through...
Good luck 🤞

Good heavens. For the Herefordshire BKA it is £9 plus BBKA plus BDI
I should clarify: that £45 includes the BBKA membership (£19), BDI (£2), and digital Bee Craft subscription (£19.50). Only £4.50 of the £45 actually goes towards my local association. Unfortunately, other than saving £5 by opting for a digital Bee Craft subscription rather than a paper copy (I really don't want any Bee Craft subscription), there are no other cheaper options that include public liability insurance.

I had assumed that being a direct member of the BBKA and cutting out the middle man would be cheaper.

My association membership (minus the bells and whistles) is currently £45
Wow that’s extortionate.
Edit. Ah extras. Beecraft
It doesn’t say how much it is on the BBKA site. You have to apply then they tell you.
Maybe join a neighbouring association?

I should clarify: that £45 includes the BBKA membership (£19), BDI (£2), and digital Bee Craft subscription (£19.50). Only £4.50 of the £45 actually goes towards my local association. Unfortunately, other than saving £5 by opting for a digital Bee Craft subscription rather than a paper copy (I really don't want any Bee Craft subscription), there are no other cheaper options that include public liability insurance.

I had assumed that being a direct member of the BBKA and cutting out the middle man would be cheaper.
Would it be worth exploring the possibility/cost of adding on to household insurance

I kept bees on allotments for several years, so was able to observe all the new allotment keepers starting up with their new allotments each April.
Initially they would be very enthusiastic, but by mid summer most of their allotments would be overgrown and we wouldn't see them again.
Their initial dream of having their own piece of ground and growing their own food was wiped out due to the hard work and problems that they came across.
However the new gardeners that stuck with it were successful as far as I could see.
I'm guessing Beekeeping is the same.
Ask yourself why you decided to get involved and what you hoped to gain from your hobby.
You will never be rich no matter how much honey your bees produce.
But having a jar of honey from your own bees on the breakfast table is something of immense value.

This is a picture of the landing board the day after I’d cleared it off. Have got a microscope and am going to do a nosema check this weekend

Latest posts

Back