How many first year beeks quit?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And if you do take that break. Don’t get rid of the kit. You’ll need it again.
Good luck.
Yes ... or look for someone you can buddy up with and keep the bees between you ... two people halves the workload and a single apiary between you may be a more manageable outcome. Share the work - share the crop.

Don’t despair! The first few years are really tough at times, I speak from bitter experience. But there are moments of great joy too. I’m going into my third year, but without the support, encouragement and patience of a fantastic mentor it would have been even tougher. Try and find a mentor, perhaps a forum member might be willing to help. Mobile technology is great. I send photos, videos and endless questions if I’m stuck.

To answer the question in the topic title rather than the post itself...this year? Probably a lot! People faced with lockdown but lacking any basic knowledge besides buying the kit and reading the internet. No real access to mentors or hands-on training. We've had people in facebook groups asking why their bees are crawling around with shrivelled up wings because they don't know anything about varroa! I pity the bees.

That said, this is a hobby with some substantial monetary investment to start off, so I'd guess that dissuades some people from quitting after a bad first year. But we hear a lot from first-year beekeepers but not so much from those with multiple years. Maybe they just don't have to ask as many questions and settle into the habit, or maybe there's a sharp population drop. I'd guess that the first-year cull will be higher in places with severe winters that hives have to fight to survive.

The first year is rough! The number of times I've said to myself "I would do this completely differently with what I know now"... I'd have gone for 14x12 instead of commercial. I'd have insulated the hive from the start. I'd have knocked up a reduced underfloor entrance from the start and probably avoided the robbing fights last autumn. I'd have spiked my syrup with thymol to stop it fermenting and had an extra week of syrup-feeding instead of humming and going 'they seem to not be interested in the syrup anymore...'. The list goes on.

Have only scanned through the thread but until you actually get into the colony and have a look you could be concerned about nothing. Just because there’s some poo on the front door step and they haven’t eaten all the fondant I wouldn’t beat yourself up just yet ;)
Went into some colonies yesterday for the first time, nothing outstanding, most looked at yesterday only had a couple of frames of brood but queens present and eggs in situ so content to leave well alone for another few weeks. Some have eaten over 7.5kgs of fondant this year, some haven’t needed any. Some get the early morning sun, some don’t.........so many variables is what makes things interesting for me, keeps you on your toes :)
Hope it turns out your colony is okay & try not to worry too much. As already said elsewhere try to find a local mentor / bee buddy, helps to have a sounding board for second opinions.

Over my long years I’ve seen newbies announcing “ I’m allergic to bee stings “ instead of, this isn’t for me I’m too anxious and not at all comfortable for this !
it seems to be the standard escape clause.
the number saying they are allergic in % terms, far exceeds average .
I knew an anethatatist who said . The path to immunity is inoculation, the path to allergy is inhalation .
Apparently , beekeepers families are at risk from inhaling dried venom from the beekeepers beesuit .

I know there is a lot of encouragement for you to keep going, and I agree with that sentiment.

But remember there is no shame in stopping, or having a break. Dont feel like you have failed or beet your self up over it. (I think this is why some convince them selves they are allergic, so they wont see them selves as having failed). We all try things in life and decide its not for us. So don't feel bad if you decide its not the hobbie for you. And don't persist if your not having fun, or making a good financial reward for your effort.

I understand your difficulty of not having training or a mentor. I got my bees late 2019 and planned to join an association and do a coarse the following spring. I cannot remember what it was now, but something happened at the end of 2019 and I could not get any training in 2020!

I knew I was doing everything in the wrong order and should have secured the training first, so had no one to blame but my self. I know some of the experienced guys on here frown at what I (we) did. But luckily they have still been very kind and helped me none the less.

I think anyone starting out in keeping needs to manage expectations. Even the best keepers have bad years, so don't be disheartened or feel you have failed if your first year or 2 go down the pan.

It was the expenses that almost throttled my keeping. The miss was horrified at how much I was spending. I thought I had a pretty good handle on what the costs would be, but I was wrong. I was knocking up ply-boxes and making most my own kit. I ordered some of the cheapest tat kit imaginable and am still using it. But in spite of my cost saving efforts the expenses kept piling up.

But luckily I am over the expenses hump at last so am looking forward to enjoying keeping without the financial stress.

Obviously I encourage anyone who is starting out to keep plugging on. Dont stop at the first hurdle, or two, or 3! When you finaly nail it, get a heavy super and see that honey flow - wow.

I met someone who lived near me when I went on the training course. We became friends and went into beekeeping together. It's so much easier and more relaxing if you work with someone and have someone to discuss the problems with. The trouble is that every inspection takes longer as you chat about what you find in each hive.

Some new beekeepers need a mentor or someone they can count on for one to one help /advice, although covid has made it harder for the newbie with no courses in the flesh or hands on training. I have no qualms in helping someone locally, we can still be safe on a one to one basis by respecting each other unsuited. When suited up the risk is very much less with a mask, a suit & gloved up there is little chance of each other being in danger of covid.

To quit or not to quit, if you want to keep bees one has to take the rough with the smooth, it never was or has been a cheap hobby/ past time to under take.
I would hate to think how much it has me cost over the years, it is something I never worry about as the enjoyment & interest it piques far out weighs the cost aspect. One has to plug away and also think about the craft of an apiarist.
All that you have mentioned is part and parcel of beekeeping life and one simply has to make sense of everything, to some the routine is easier then to others but it takes many years to get it to work for you. Routine have in mind how you manage the bees, don't just keep grinding away at it, seek advice or help. A LBKA chat group or find a mentor you can ask for advice as well as the good advice usually given on here.

It won't hurt to spray for Nosema but first confirm the presence of it.
It is still chilly out so use a slightly warm solution and apply 3 x 4 days apart to each frame side with bees.

My first year was crap, the queen stopped laying so I swapped her out, the next year I got 81Ibs of honey.
I applied MAQS before wintering and the product killed the queen, it was to late to get another queen and in the end they produced a drone laying queen which is no use to man nor beast.
At the moment I have a hive with about 10 bees in it so will throw them out over the weekend so I can prepare the hive for a new colony expected early April.
It is heartbreaking having spent all that time and money thinking you’ve finally mastered it and then a crap product kills them off.
I’m carrying on because the honey reward I received was fantastic and people I sold my honey to kept coming back and recommend me to others.
It’s a bit like golf, you’ll have a **** round one day but you will remember all day long that one shot of brilliance that you creamed down the fairway and landing on the green a few feet away from the hole.
Stick with it.

Keep going! I started four years ago, I got my first hive one June and lost it to CBPV in the September. I got a second Nuc the following year, looked after them and even got honey off in the July then I lost them to CBPV in the April! I got a third Nuc and lost them to CBPV this winter🤬. Luckily a very kind and experienced bee keeper from my association took pity on me and donated a colony to me last October and I’ve managed to keep them alive all winter (the bees not the beek). So I’m heading into this year with a healthy colony....so far. I live in optimism that this colony will survive. But yes, it’s been frustrating, heartbreaking and ruddy expensive! I’ve had to replace all my frames and wax after each incident, and lots of time spent scrubbing my hives with soda and scorching them off. Then digging fresh ground for the stand, feeding, treating, inspecting and then on top of all that I discovered I have a serious bee sting reaction😄 if anyone should not be a beekeeper it’s me! I also work but looking after my bees is my downtime and it’s only about an hour a week. You’ll get there, it’s easier if you have the support of some seasoned beeks from an association or club who will happily spend ages giving you help and advice, so if you’re not a club member consider becoming one. Just keep plodding on, the first ten years are the hardest so I’m told😄👍🏻

I applied MAQS before wintering and the product killed the queen, it was to late to get another queen and in the end they produced a drone laying queen which is no use to man nor beast.
At the moment I have a hive with about 10 bees in it so will throw them out over the weekend so I can prepare the hive for a new colony expected early April.
It is heartbreaking having spent all that time and money thinking you’ve finally mastered it and then a crap product kills them off.
Nothing wrong with MAQS never lost a queen but have heard a few who have. I would suspect a weak queen. Many years ago I double dosed my bees with MAQS and the queen survived. Never lost a queen yet using it and I will use it again this year! Never used it last year. I change varroa treatment every year / season.

Nothing wrong with MAQS never lost a queen but have heard a few who have. I would suspect a weak queen. Many years ago I double dosed my bees with MAQS and the queen survived. Never lost a queen yet using it and I will use it again this year! Never used it last year. I change varroa treatment every year / season.
I used MAQS in my first year and sure it affected the queen and she didn’t lay after that so I replaced her, the following year I used MAQS again and it killed the queen outright.
I have never used since.

The only time I used MAQS I lost the queen - I don't think it is fair to blame 'weak queens' for the loss when using any treatment. Appreciate that other people have had different experiences to me, but once bitten twice shy.

I have been delivering a beginners course for the past few years using the generally followed principles of treating and weekly inspections. However I am now pulling out as my practice has changed dramatically. A few years ago due to illness and other factors, my bees were left unmanaged for long periods, the longest was 3 months late spring early summer, and the total number of times I went in to the hives that year was really low! My bees did really well that year and so, in following years, I have become increasingly hands off. I have 3-6 colonies usually and they are in my garden so I can watch them and see when things don’t look right. As a beginner, you are probably better off following the generally accepted methods initially, if only to get to know your bees and get a better understanding of what might be going on. I think what I am trying to say is what everyone else has said, keep at it, it will get easier. On the other hand a lot of first year beekeepers give up, some don’t even get started, when they realise that the amount of time and expense just doesn’t fit into their current lifestyle. There is nothing wrong with dropping out for those reasons. Come back when it suits you better

I started last year and due to the lack of available training I really wasn't sure if I'd take to it. The first time I opened the nuc up with my new swarm and had active bees running over my hands I did pause, then relaxed. If I couldn't have taken it it would have been a lot of money down the drain.
Same with my first ever sting a couple of months later. I was happy once it happened as I now am less bothered by the idea of it, I know how much it hurts and I know that I don't (at the moment) have a bad reaction.

To answer your subject line. I have heard a couple of BKA membership secretaries say "half" the new members disappear after 2 years. So my guess is that maybe 40% of new beeks quit in this timeframe, presumably when their first colony dies - which is dispiriting and to some, an excuse to get away from being stung.

I have been delivering a beginners course for the past few years using the generally followed principles of treating and weekly inspections. However I am now pulling out as my practice has changed dramatically. A few years ago due to illness and other factors, my bees were left unmanaged for long periods, the longest was 3 months late spring early summer, and the total number of times I went in to the hives that year was really low! My bees did really well that year and so, in following years, I have become increasingly hands off. I have 3-6 colonies usually and they are in my garden so I can watch them and see when things don’t look right. As a beginner, you are probably better off following the generally accepted methods initially, if only to get to know your bees and get a better understanding of what might be going on. I think what I am trying to say is what everyone else has said, keep at it, it will get easier. On the other hand a lot of first year beekeepers give up, some don’t even get started, when they realise that the amount of time and expense just doesn’t fit into their current lifestyle. There is nothing wrong with dropping out for those reasons. Come back when it suits you better
What do you do with the swarms?

To answer your subject line. I have heard a couple of BKA membership secretaries say "half" the new members disappear after 2 years. So my guess is that maybe 40% of new beeks quit in this timeframe, presumably when their first colony dies - which is dispiriting and to some, an excuse to get away from being stung.
I sold up once but fell for it again after a swarm moved into a nuc box that I still had sitting idle with 5 old frames in it. Didn't have the heart to evict them!! :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back