How long should I leave honey to settle?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
I am getting ready to take off some frames and extract...but is it possible to try and work out what sort of honey I am likely to find? In particular, whether I should I be aiming for soft set or not? I am assuming that after extracting I will leave it to settle, but then what? Last year (and the small amount I got the year before [my first year]) I let it settle for a long while, and it eventually set, to varying degrees of hardness. But how long should I leave it on average?

If you ask what plants the bees have been working, well...a very good question. I know there was a field of broad beans just up the road, and some white clover, and lots of dandelions...and currently they have been collecting Himalayan Balsam (given the colour of them when they return). But where they HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN could be another matter entirely.

Sorry if it is a basic question. One day I hope I can actually contribute constructively to this site, instead of just 'taking' the really useful information you provide. So thanks in advance until I am 'there' (if ever I am!)

Sally

Filter your honey through a strainer into a settling tank and leave for around 2 days in a warm room, which allows any air bubbles to rise to the surface, before jarring up.

At this time of year the choice of producing soft set is all yours. When there is Rape around then soft set is really all you can aim at - not that this is in any way a poor choice.

If you want soft set then follow the advice on the sticky thread. Make sure to read the whole thread and make your own opinion up (I posted one successful approach which some very knowledgeable old hands disagreed with and offered a few modifications).

All the best,
Sam.

I extract and filter through two sieves into 30lb tubs. These can be stored until you are ready to jar, if it has granulated it can be brought back to liquid by warming. At this point I fine filter into 25 litre tubs fitted with a tap, the honey is jarred up from this.

Filter your honey through a strainer into a settling tank and leave for around 2 days in a warm room, which allows any air bubbles to rise to the surface, before jarring up.

Not forgetting to skim those bubbles off or else they will end up in the jars.

Of course, it is just cosmetic so skim the bubbles off into your own jar to eat, don't throw it away :)

Thanks all. I will leave to settle as suggested, and then aim for runny honey for some, and possibly leave some to jar later. 'Swarm', if this latter honey sets a little, is it better to aim for soft set, or does it depend on how 'set' it is? Thanks in advance

ps Sam, have read the thread...I never realised how complicated (bordering on contentious) beekeeping was until I started

pps Andy Cadman...had a teacher called Andy Cadman many years ago also based in Derbyshire. Coincidence? Please ignore if impolite Q

When you jar (bottle) your honey from the settling tank (24 to 48 hours after extracting) Tip the tank towards you so that you get bubbless honey for longer! Usually you can keep the bubbles until the last two jars and ofcourse those are always the first you use and never sell. Fill the jars slowly so that the bubbles aren't sucked in with the honey. Your challenge, if you wish to accept it, is to get no bubbles in a jar until the last two!!!!
E

Enrico
I accept [quite possibly naively] your challenge. Two jars you say! Will be extracting in the week or so. Will let you know how I fared (or failed!!!)

sally

Hi M&F
Very good point. I am sure I read somewhere on this site about using clingfilm to help with this...will look it up again. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sally,
Yes its a bit of a revelation really isn't it...:)

Could be worse though, it could be a passionless hobby.

We will just have to take the rough with the smooth and pretend the barbs of bees is worse than each other.

Enjoy your honey production,

Sam

Hi M&F
Very good point. I am sure I read somewhere on this site about using clingfilm to help with this...will look it up again. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cling film is excellent for removing even the tiny bubbles off the surface of honey in a jar at room temperature, I use a teaspoon to gently press the cling film down starting in the middle and working out to the edges, then carefully peal the cling film off again faster than the honey can run.

Takes a bit of practice but it works really well.

Cling film is excellent for removing even the tiny bubbles off the surface of honey in a jar at room temperature, I use a teaspoon to gently press the cling film down starting in the middle and working out to the edges, then carefully peal the cling film off again faster than the honey can run.

Takes a bit of practice but it works really well.
I use greaseproof paper/baking parchment as we no longer use clingfilm. The paper is easier to manipulate. I then hang up the paper and let the honey drip into a jar we keep for ourselves.

Latest posts

Back