How long does Royal jelly last

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What I am wondering is if I could take the royal jelly out of failed Queen cells and inject into new cells to give them a boost ... also how best is best to inject into new cells ie could I drown the larvae.. and could I save the jelly in a fridge for how long
Thanks for any advise

What I am wondering is if I could take the royal jelly out of failed Queen cells and inject into new cells to give them a boost ... also how best is best to inject into new cells ie could I drown the larvae.. and could I save the jelly in a fridge for how long
Thanks for any advise

I still have some in the fridge im using from last year so around 6 months. I havent heard of injecting larvae......

Do it so, that when your hive swarms, change the larvae of swarming cells. So you get far queens..

I bet, that if you " boost" the larva, bees clean off your old jelly.

There should be no need to contemplate that, good queen cells are born with a load royal jelly still in the top of the cell on the day of hatching. If you raise you own queens you wont need to even attempt this because your working with your bees, raising queens when your bees would do this, but giving them more than best conditions possible.
If your thinking of injecting Royal jelly in to cells, how do you know your not damaging the larvae when you inject it?
The other issue is inly very few are failed cells, and how could you tell what or why the cell failed. was it virus in the Jelly. The best way to harvest royal jelly is to remove emergency cells. Not from failed queen cells.
Although i have never heard of this, i really would consider this fool hardy to even attempt it.
Raising good cells is relatively easy, getting them successfully mated is another thing altogether!. Your better off enhancing your drone population in the vicinity of your apiary!
Normally when its commercially harvested, its frozen down. thats the best way to preserve it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice ... was just a dream of a super Queen lol .... thanks again will give that idea a miss

Back