How long before 2nd Super goes on

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but is there a rough guide to how long it takes a colony to fill a super?

I'm going to put the first one on each of my two this week, and wondered how long I have to make up the second, third etc.

Is it days or weeks? I know weather and forage are driving factors, so there is no right answer, I'm just looking for an idea.

No easy definite answer. A rough guide is to add next box when the last one is about 75% full of bees. Nothing runs by calendar and so much depends on the weather and forage. I am yet to add any supers. My queens went off lay for about two weeks until the last few days. My brood boxes still have a lot of space as yet.

As with lots of things in beekeeping, it depends - in this case on the size of your colony, on the weather forecast and the local forage.

OSR is just starting to bloom here so I have added 2 supers to my biggest colonies as I expect that there will be a strong flow as the forecast is good for the next week.

Before the cart gets pushed here... cart before horse...

Monkey? How many frames of brood have your colonies got please?

PH

Maybe never in a bad year, in a week in a good year!!!!!
E

Latest posts

Back