How early can one inspect?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Is it just a question of temperature or does there have to be a certain level of light?

I'm considering doing my inspections a lot earlier than 3pm now that it's getting quite hot. Temperatures are not expected to dip below 16 Celsius at night (actually 18 for the next couple of nights).

Not planning to do inspections in the dark, of course, it's just to give you an ide of the temperatures. During the day, at the usual inspection time they're normally in the 26 to 28 Celsius, and they might get higher as we go into July and August. I don't particularly fancy wearing a suit in that heat.

D'you think it'll be ok to go, say, a couple of hours after sunrise, when it's a bit cooler, but the bees should already be flying? Another thing I don't fancy is inspecting a hive full of foragers...

I'm no expert but I'd suspect that with those temperatures if they're flying early morning you could inspect. So long as there's enough light to spot eggs, here in not so sunny UK a friend has to use a torch even in the middle of our so called summer.

As long as they are busy it makes inspections easier
E

Latest posts

Back