How do you see eggs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I’ve reached that stage where I need specs to read.
Can‘t actually see eggs without specs. My problem is I find my suit interferes with my vision - and wearing specs doesn’t work well with the suit.

Anyone else have this problem?
What is your solution?

Can‘t actually see eggs without specs. My problem is I find my suit interferes with my vision - and wearing specs doesn’t work well with the suit.

What is your solution?
Try a large handheld magnifying glass with fairly powerful magnification.

I wear specs all the time. Make sure you have good light, either sunlight or a torch to help. Taking photos is also useful. Darker comb is harder to see into than freshly drawn.

Have you tried a torch and magnifying glass. I'm short sighted so I have no problem. Another idea would be an old smart phone that you are not using, set the camera to magnify the image and look that way.
Yep. I tried magnifying glass and various specs. I read with 1.5+ which I have tried and have also tried 2.0+, at one stage tried bifocals too. In all cases I find the mesh interferes. I usually inspect with my wife and between us we take loads of iPhone pics to confirm our findings later.

I’m considering doing what I have seen on YouTube where they cut out a bit and replace with clear Perspex or something like that. I may buy a cheap suit just to try it out.

Just wondered if there was a magic silver bullet.

What is your solution?
i have the same problem .bought one from stb sale .no matter what specs i use its all fuzzy.so gone back to my cheap one with
different mesh..i was going to get one of those cheap hats with the thin mesh you get on the bay..try that if it works
find someone to sew it on the stb one..if i get time that is...

Rather extreme, and I did it for other reasons 😂 but I've just had refractive lens replacements. Bonus is it's made my beekeeping much easier. 🤣. Seeing the world in a whole new light.

1 a veil you can see through. Sherriff have the best by far.
2 if you use glasses to read get plus 0.5/1 for beekeeping, i use safety glasses with a reading pane.Like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/voltX-GRAF...ocphy=9045839&hvtargid=pla-452600523818&psc=1
3 As suggested put the sun behind you so it shines into the bottom of the frame and angle the frame
4 Grains of rice reflect the sun, vertical just laid first 24 hrs, 45 degrees 24 hrs to 48 hrs, flat 48 hrs to 72 hrs.

Screwfix do an LED torch by Nebo called “ Lil Larry “. It has 2 strengths as well as a flashing red light which some might find useful outside beekeeping. It retails at £9.99p and illuminates a wide area of comb which I find useful.
If you go to any of the Beekeeping Conventions or National Honey then Vita Bee Health were handing out similar but less robust models.
Hope this helps you

This might be useful
https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threa...-plastic-window-in-my-veil.54932/#post-867252As well as the Scottish guy quoted in the thread.
Aye, I bought an easysee from mac at Loch Ness honey - he's the only UK importer. Just haven't had time to fit it yet as the bees have been so busy but he's a nice guy and I can feed back once I've tried it if you like. And remind me! I'm 36 and wear glasses and have astigmatism and have tried changing my glasses to no avail so am thoroughly fed up with not being g able to see eggs regardless of angling or small torch - breaking down a few cell walls nearby to see always feels sacrilegious!

I have worn varifocals for decades: lower half of lens near vision, upper for distance.
Once I started beekeeping I had 25% magnification built into nearer lens.
I now see eggs with ease in sunlight. In shade I need a hand torch.
I even graft - very badly - but with 2.5 magnification headlenses and a loupe to give 5 x magnification - but focal length at c 5cms makes grafting so close rather awkward so I stick to 2.5 focal length about 8cms (IIRC)

Latest posts

Back