How do l feed fondant to a full hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my hives seems very light so I think I might have to feed them fondant. Do I make up a feeder in a eek and feed them trough the hole in the crown board.
Help
Liam C

I wrap fondant in cling film.
When next to the hive I tread on the fondant to make it nice and flat.
Cut a hole in centre and place onto crownboard,replace roof.

Works for me..

I wrap fondant in cling film.
When next to the hive I tread on the fondant to make it nice and flat.
Cut a hole in centre and place onto crownboard,replace roof.

Works for me..
I wrap in cling film to keep it moist .
I unfold the cling film, slap the fondant over the feed hole, place the cling film back over the fondant and cover with a piece of baco-foil , this keeps the heat in and once moulded to the fondant ,allows the bees to take it to the last grain without it collapsing on them .
I can lift the foil to see how they're using it and usually find that the cling film is still intact ;).

John W.

If you are wanting to feed this colony a decent amount then...

Put on a Qex, then lump of fondant covered in what ever to keep it moist. Put on an empty super, c/b and roof. Job done.

PH

If you are wanting to feed this colony a decent amount then...

Put on a Qex, then lump of fondant covered in what ever to keep it moist. Put on an empty super, c/b and roof. Job done.

PH

Can't argue with that but keep an eye on things , it is warming up and you could find the fondant converted into wild comb in the super :bigear:

John Wilkinson

I place mine in a plastic chinese take away carton put cling film over top slice straight down middle and place over crown board hole place a 70mil eke top of crown board then roof.mine has a bit left on second one since xmas hope it lasts them for a couple of more weeks then probably give some syrup

Can't argue with that but keep an eye on things , it is warming up and you could find the fondant converted into wild comb in the super :bigear:

John Wilkinson

Doesn't sound too bad, but when you consider that the super can be full of wild comb intermixed with the fondant. Not empty comb, stored uncapped nextar/honey too. Oh and lots and lots of bees.

Typically you will find more than one colony in this state, in a very successful apiary that you have taken your eye off.

The danger of drowning bees en-mass in leaking honey as you attempt to recover the situation is very real and exceedingly messy.

Heed Victor well, because when you find them, it will be a glorious sunny day and you will sweat your parts off as you struggle with stickyness everywhere. Best avoided by keeping an eye on things.

Got the tshirt, but it's somewhat honey stained. LoL

I place mine in a plastic chinese take away carton put cling film over top slice straight down middle and place over crown board hole place a 70mil eke top of crown board then roof.mine has a bit left on second one since xmas hope it lasts them for a couple of more weeks then probably give some syrup

very similar, a spreadable margerine tub with hole cut it lid ,as regards the syrup yes agree, as he is in Tipperary he is a week or so warmer, might even be better to feed syrup now instead of fondant now

Doesn't sound too bad, but when you consider that the super can be full of wild comb intermixed with the fondant. Not empty comb, stored uncapped nextar/honey too. Oh and lots and lots of bees.

Typically you will find more than one colony in this state, in a very successful apiary that you have taken your eye off.

The danger of drowning bees en-mass in leaking honey as you attempt to recover the situation is very real and exceedingly messy.

Heed Victor well, because when you find them, it will be a glorious sunny day and you will sweat your parts off as you struggle with stickyness everywhere. Best avoided by keeping an eye on things.

Got the tshirt, but it's somewhat honey stained. LoL

This is what happened to us last year... A random eke was left in the hive... Became full with perfectly capped brace comb by mid-April... Impossible to inspect the hive until it was removed... And an absolute nightmare to remove/extract...

Ben P

Latest posts

Back