How do I move bees between apiaries in a car trailer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Straw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I have always moved hives in the back of my car, set the box so the frames hang north/south and driving slowly the car suspension gives a fairly gentle ride.

I have recently bought a car trailer and am intending to use that to transport the hives next spring - to take them onto the osr or into orchards etc
With the state of the roads around me it is going to be a pretty bumpy ride in an unsprung trailer

I've thought about putting some cushions down under the hives or perhaps a board with casters on to try and stop the hives/bees being bounced around too much

Am I fussing about nothing or is this an issue?
If so what tricks have others used to resolve it?
Thanks

I really wouldn't worry, if they fall off their cluster whilst in transit, as long as its not too cold and they can't climb back up I was under the impression that was the rule!
I move my bees in the back of my ford transit flat bed tipper, admittedly, when its loaded theres not too much of an issue.
I would say that in a small trailer it will bounce, like you say but theres not a lot you can do other than about as many bumps as possible!
I share your worry. They will be really angry whatever you do, so when you get to your destination i always suggest leaving them a good 20 mins to "calm down :sifone: Have a break!! and use a little smoke when you first undo the door!! sometimes if you release them in the dark this also helps, as they know they can't fly and they tend to stay back from the front door!! I always move my bees of an evening as they get themselves acquainted to their new surroundings the following morning as it gets light naturally!! perhaps they feel they havent lost out, I dont know, but out seems to work well!! and i get stung a lot less Lol always a good reason !
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have always moved hives in the back of my car, set the box so the frames hang north/south and driving slowly the car suspension gives a fairly gentle ride.

I have recently bought a car trailer and am intending to use that to transport the hives next spring - to take them onto the osr or into orchards etc
With the state of the roads around me it is going to be a pretty bumpy ride in an unsprung trailer

I've thought about putting some cushions down under the hives or perhaps a board with casters on to try and stop the hives/bees being bounced around too much

Am I fussing about nothing or is this an issue?
If so what tricks have others used to resolve it?
Thanks

Why did you buy an unsprung trailer? :nopity:

Why did you buy an unsprung trailer? :nopity:

May be a misonception ?

Modern trailers don't often have springs - they have suspension built in as either hydraulic dampers or torsion bars such as Indispension or Avonride Units .. negating the need for springs (usually cart springs on very old trailers). If there was no suspension at all on the trailer it would soon shake itself to death on any roads - let alone bumpy ones. My big trailer (at least 20 years old) has Series 1 Landrover Hubs, brakes and wheels and Rubery Owen suspension units .. rated up to 2 Tonnes. I'm rebuilding it at present and the brakes are Lockheed ... real beggar to get the parts !!

So .. if it does have these type of suspenders - as both of my (fairly elderly) trailers have then. once they are loaded, the suspension tends to work better and they are less prone to 'bounce' as long as you are not driving like a lunatic.

New Ifor Williams trailers do.

Ah ... yes .. but now you are talking QUALITY and heavy duty ... and they have rubber shock absorbers as well ... and proper axles ... built like that for at least 50 years and probably still the best trailer you can buy - if you can afford it !

Last edited:
My trailer has those rubber indispension things
Move 10 hives with bees in with no problems in my small trailer
Our West Country Roads must be the the worst in the country... just drive with a bit of consideration for the bees!
As with all of above.. move bees when not clustered if possible.
I load up the hives / bees as it gets dark and they are roosting and block them in.
Pick up trailer in morning as it get light enough to see the potholes!
Leave to settle at new location and release at dusk.

Always seems to be a small plume of bees that follow... drive slowly enough for them to keep up!

Good luck

Yeghes da

May be a misonception ?

Modern trailers don't often have springs - they have suspension built in as either hydraulic dampers or torsion bars such as Indispension or Avonride Units .. negating the need for springs (usually cart springs on very old trailers). If there was no suspension at all on the trailer it would soon shake itself to death on any roads - let alone bumpy ones. My big trailer (at least 20 years old) has Series 1 Landrover Hubs, brakes and wheels and Rubery Owen suspension units .. rated up to 2 Tonnes. I'm rebuilding it at present and the brakes are Lockheed ... real beggar to get the parts !!

So .. if it does have these type of suspenders - as both of my (fairly elderly) trailers have then. once they are loaded, the suspension tends to work better and they are less prone to 'bounce' as long as you are not driving like a lunatic.

My Ifor 505 trailer for the neddies has leaf springs and many other horse trailers have the indespension units. I have, however, seen a lot of small trailers around that don't enjoy the benefits of suspension but rely on the tyres for a bit of "give"

My Ifor 505 trailer for the neddies has leaf springs and many other horse trailers have the indespension units. I have, however, seen a lot of small trailers around that don't enjoy the benefits of suspension but rely on the tyres for a bit of "give"

None that are sold these days - unless they are self build ? Virtually all small trailers on Mini-style wheels and hubs and the only sensible option is to use the Indispension units ...they often look like they don't have any suspension but they do.

None that are sold these days - unless they are self build ? Virtually all small trailers on Mini-style wheels and hubs and the only sensible option is to use the Indispension units ...they often look like they don't have any suspension but they do.

Maybe the original poster would like to clarify whether or not the trailer has any type of suspension?

Trailers usually have some form of axle articulation. Some may not realise this as the suspension is often rudimentary and does not have any damping. They are load carriers and, as such, the suspension will only be compressed to a satifactory point at full load - around which it will oscillate without reaching the extremes of travel under normal driving on average surfaces. Car suspensions are far softer and most definitely need dampers to avoid dangerous rebound.

Short of pouring petrol on them bees are pretty hard to kill , I wouldn't worry about it !

Short of pouring petrol on them bees are pretty hard to kill , I wouldn't worry about it !

:icon_204-2:

Maybee worth considering fixing travel screens if on a hot summer day ( not that we get many... Gran would have blamed the BOMBS... she always did for any unusual weather event!!)

Yeghes da

Basic suspension only

I fear we are getting bogged down in technical speak. My trailer has a torsion axle so I guess there is some basic control of the axle articulation and so yes, it does have suspension of sorts. However there is no additional movement control and no independent rebound damping.

What I do know is that when I took a pile of bricks to the tip the other day every now and again a terrific thump would come from the trailer when I went over a bump/pothole and for a brief moment the bricks were airborne.

Obviously with bees on board I will be going considerably slower than usual but nevertheless I feel it probable that they will be shaken and a little stirred by the time I have travelled the 10 miles or so to the out apiary.

I am just interested as to whether others have found a good solution to this. Thank you for the comments so far and for the points about potential over-heating and travel screens.

I fear we are getting bogged down in technical speak. My trailer has a torsion axle so I guess there is some basic control of the axle articulation and so yes, it does have suspension of sorts. However there is no additional movement control and no independent rebound damping.

What I do know is that when I took a pile of bricks to the tip the other day every now and again a terrific thump would come from the trailer when I went over a bump/pothole and for a brief moment the bricks were airborne.

Obviously with bees on board I will be going considerably slower than usual but nevertheless I feel it probable that they will be shaken and a little stirred by the time I have travelled the 10 miles or so to the out apiary.

I am just interested as to whether others have found a good solution to this. Thank you for the comments so far and for the points about potential over-heating and travel screens.

I think RAB got it in one ... ~ Post #2

Latest posts

Back