moving bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven ash

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi I recently bought 5 hives and need to bring them back home, I have managed to bring two back but have seen alot of dead bees outside the hives, I know this time of year this is normal.. also yesterday they were flying but alot went back and were hanging around the trailer that I transported them in ... so now I am concerned about moving the other three hives.. any adivce would be great.

:welcome: To the forum.

My guess is that the trailer smells of bees and when they find nothing they will go home. We find that if we transport kit back to the bee shed a few will follow the smell for a while.

Where in Devon are you?

Tim.

I suppose that weather is so cold or clowdy that bees have not enought time to find new site of entrance when they come out for cleansing flight.

And do you have holes from where bees get out during transport?

Last edited:
My honest opinion, you are going to lose some. Just go for it.
E

I got 8 to move tomorrow and 8 more on Saturday, once all in new position I move the motor away and let them settle for 20 minutes, I then unblock and don't really expect many to come out as the weather will be cool as I will be moving them about 8 am. Will lose a few no doubt but will live with that.
Moving them onto OSR from my home apiary as there are too many there now (40). They will end up 6 and 9 miles away from home, in the same direction.

perhaps they have found honey on the trailer which has dripped through the mesh floors while travelling?

Thanks for the info probably yes as one of the hives has not had any honey taken off this year

thanks for the info will have a go with the next hives

JFDI = Just Flippin well Do It :)

Back