How do I collect a swarm without going up a ladder?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peterbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I don't want to go up a ladder but there is a swarm at the top of a tree, How do I get it??

right for a starter, dont use a ladder, almost a hospital visit time,

i was talking today to someone who uses ladders for a living and even he aggres with that one.

i will try and do a video for you but basicly, buy a 12 inch roller head frame, they are the ones with an arm each side rather than one from one end, this is flattened out slightly so we can pop rivit it to a bucket on the side very near the top.

cut the bottom out of the said bucket and then drill a few holes around the bottom to tie a pillow case to it or tie the pillow case to the top, because we have used a paint roller head we can now go out and purchase several lenghts of roller handles i have one at 8 foot and one that goes from 10 foot to 18 foot,

you could also use normal broom handles or chop a shaff out of a hedge if you want. if its higher than 18 foot i am not interested in it as my life is not worth a pile of swarmy bees

To be honest, if it's too dangerous for you to collect the swarm don't do it. A couple of years ago a prime swarm of mine went into the top of a very high poplar tree, I was sad to watch it go but it wasn't worth breaking my neck for.
Keeping a few catch hives near to your apiary may help draw in stray swarms, but short of finding someone confident enough with a ladder and bees to help you out there isn't alot that can be done.

I got a swarm in a tree last year. I used four 3m lengths of roofing battern, some wire and old chicken feed bag. Worked a treat.

SteveJ

I'm a fireman and live on ladders when at work (not literally - before the comments come back), but as the others have said, not worth risking your neck for. Got to look after yourself before you can look after your bees. ;)

Dave.

I read somehwere that if it is possible to throw a clean brood comb over the branch and manipulate it by ropes until it has the bees going on it and leave it a while till there is a large bundle on it, that a swarm can be retrienved that way - don't know how highup the tree is - if too high then obviously too dangerous.... I have resorted to an telescopic apple picker device I picked up cheaply in Lidls and after 4 scoops of bees x 1 lb got the swarm, but it was only 4 m up my tree!!

What about placing a bait hive a some lemongrass oil close by...won't scouts be out looking for a home?

Also I agree don't risk climbing the tree yourself...find a friend!!!:biggrinjester:

Sam

Can we borrow your Fire Engine with that big ladder you can operate from the basket you stand in? :)

circe,

Can I suggest that the idea might be good, but throwing brood combs around is not. A stone or stick, attached to some string, might be the better initial projectile!

Some open brood on the comb might be good.

Regards, RAB

I think I read it in an Australian beekeeper website - the intention was not to aim directly into the swarm to break it up, but if it was possible (obvious height limitation) try and loop the comb close by and entice them onto the comb - good idea to use a bit of brood on the comb, Rab.

I got myself a second hand windsurfing mast for a fiver, must be 15ft (?) long and obviously very light as it is made of fibreglass.

I've attached bait boxes and cardboard boxes to it to get difficult to get to swarms, and it works perfectly.

LOL - Dorset B what a brilliant idea wtih the windsurfing pole - I'll stick to the telescopic picker for now, but might have a go at hoopla some time....

I got called out to collect a swarm today.

"In the stable, making us all very nervous, please come quickly... etc"

Got there: 4 bumblebees going back and forth doing their thing, lol.

Still, got a cup of tea.

Latest posts

Back