How do Five pound notes come into circulation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Beefriendly

Okay, we know they get printed and into our wallets (for very brief periods)...but how?
Very few cash points issue £5 notes and this is where the vast majority of us get our cash from.
So how come there are five pound notes in circulation?
As a trader we know they are rare beasts to be hung onto as much as possible.
Start of every market everyone comes with tenners and twenties....But by end of day always end up with more fivers than we need for float for next market....so excess fivers gets paid back into the bank....
So how do they get from the bank back in to circulation given the almost universal usage of only cash machines that only issue tens and twenties?

I have a theory but wondered if anyone actually knows for certain.

When I worked in retail we would have brand new £5 notes from the bank which went in the till and then dispersed. I'd imagine its the main source. From my experience fivers were much harder to keep hold of than £10 notes and £20 were annoyingly common.

Last edited:
That was my theory, they came in from supermarkets/large retail stores etc needing change for customers.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Do that many people still pay by cash?

I rob banks and then spend the fivers I liberate in Thorne's ... from there they get used as change for beekeepers who themselves use them for customers buying single jars of honey with a tenner. From there they cascade on down through the population.

When needed my wife gets them from the bank, she gets them in packs of ten five pound notes, which they charge £50 for.

Do that many people still pay by cash?

On most Farmers markets they do. Card readers are getting more common, but at some markets locations there is no mobile signal which makes these types of card reader useless.

On most Farmers markets they do. Card readers are getting more common, but at some markets locations there is no mobile signal which makes these types of card reader useless.

We still have and use the printed plate version of card recording device... Santander Bank accept the receipts... you have to phone in later with the info!

As for fivers......do not like the new ones... or the new one pound coins..

But then I do not like change!!!

Hope you get snow for Christmas!

TTFN... have to go and feed the hippopotamuses!

Nadelik Lowen

When needed my wife gets them from the bank, she gets them in packs of ten five pound notes, which they charge £50 for.

Funnily enough I needed five pounds worth of 20pences so I went into Nationwide. I had to prove I was a customer and then deposit the £5 note in my account for them to withdraw £5 and give it me in 20pence pieces. To do this they had to go behind the scenes for five minutes to get it all countersigned!
Next time I will use a proper bank!!!!!!
E

I rob banks and then spend the fivers I liberate in Thorne's ... from there they get used as change for beekeepers who themselves use them for customers buying single jars of honey with a tenner. From there they cascade on down through the population.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

OK then - lets mark each one we get with propolis in the top left hand corner and next year see what proportion of notes are thus marked, to see if your theory is sound.:biggrinjester:

Latest posts

Back