How do bees fight?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxnatbees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Today I saw four bees wrestling another worker away from their entrance and, I think, trying to chuck it off the landing board.

I assumed it was a robber or otherwise unwelcome, but I couldn't figure out how they were fighting. They seemed to be using their mouthparts to drag it while it clung to the landing board - took them a minute to move it one inch. I thought they might be chewing off its wings, but those seemed intact. But if they threw it off surely it would just fly back? Perhaps it was related and had merely irritated them, so their full-on dirty fighting mode wasn't triggered.

I've seen guards go for bumblebees too near the hive entrance by landing on their backs and using their sting, but is there some kind of etiquette between honeybees? How exactly do the bouncers keep undesirables out?

I bet you're going to say "it depends on the colony, phase of the moon, what they've been eating, if they're stressed and if they read the Daily Mail".

At this time of year there is a lot of chucking out of all kinds, drones, other bees trying their luck, treatments (if they are anything like our naughty bees) and also dead and debris. I have observed them doing so by numbers, so maybe they are just in the mode and will sting, and therefore die, as a last resort. Great observation though. After inspecting any colony I always watch the entrance for a bit (don't know what I'm looking for lol, just do) and often watch them struggle along with whatever they are shifting.

Someone with way more knowledge than me will probably be along to tell you why they didn't try and damage the bee, but a good book to read, if you haven't already, is At The Hive Entrance by Storch. It is free online as a PDF I think. I can't recall, but I bet there is something in there about it.

Possibly drone eviction. Think you'll find that HB's do not die if they sting other insects?

It definitely wasn't a drone. Confirmed by 2nd beekeeper who saw it. That's what surprised me initially and made me watch closer.

I know that bee stings work well on other insects and are reusable on them, it is only big leathery mammals like us who pull their entrails out. They did not seem to be stinging. I have seen bees stinging other insects, they get on their back and bend their bums toward them.

Possibly drone eviction. Think you'll find that HB's do not die if they sting other insects?

Do they not?! I've only been bee keeping 6(ish) years and didn't know this lol :icon_204-2:

It's like the time, recently, I *tried* to joke about drone culling and them getting their own back by stinging you next time. They only keep me here for amusement lol

So how does that work then? Do they not sting deeply enough for the barb to catch? Can you explain please :)

Bee mandibles have poison which they use to paralyse or kill other insects. The poison is 2n heptanone.

Edit

It's also poisonous to other honeybees

Last edited:
Do they not?! I've only been bee keeping 6(ish) years and didn't know this lol :icon_204-2:

It's like the time, recently, I *tried* to joke about drone culling and them getting their own back by stinging you next time. They only keep me here for amusement lol

So how does that work then? Do they not sting deeply enough for the barb to catch? Can you explain please :)

Hi Kazmcc,
IIRC down to the thickness and type of "skin"/material being stung. Most/all(?) insects have a thin outer whereas we/mammals etc have a thick outer layer, either skin or suit, which traps the barb. The stinger is harder/stronger than "skin" and the soft tissue it's attached to the HB, so the force exerted by the HB to escape is greater than the soft tissue can with stand. I sure someone will give a better explanation or research paper etc.

Hi Kazmcc,
IIRC down to the thickness and type of "skin"/material being stung. Most/all(?) insects have a thin outer whereas we/mammals etc have a thick outer layer, either skin or suit, which traps the barb. The stinger is harder/stronger than "skin" and the soft tissue it's attached to the HB, so the force exerted by the HB to escape is greater than the soft tissue can with stand. I sure someone will give a better explanation or research paper etc.

Thanks Russel! That's good enough for me. I never knew this! I know queens can sting repeatedly, but not workers. Great stuff :)

Hi Kazmcc,
Was wondering how the stinger was attached to the Himalayan Balsam - then realised HB is honeybee in this instance. Doh!

Was wondering how the stinger was attached to the Himalayan Balsam - then realised HB is honeybee in this instance. Doh!

Secretly relieved I am not the only one ;) Only for a split second though! I really am getting worse.

I think hornets have a tough enough exoskeleton that bees can't sting through that, so they have to ball (overheat) them instead. That's why hornets are such a danger to hives. Not sure why the bees can't sting their eyes, though.

Thank you for the info about the poison mandibles.

Latest posts

Back