how close, bait hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browncow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I fancy trying putting out a bait hive in my out apiary but don't know how close to my other hives I can place it, I wold like to place it in a perminant position next to another active hive,is this OK??

It really makes little odds as far as I can see. Personally I would put it a little away but I am presuming you are not placing it to catch your swarm as your swarm control will see to that issue but to catch a *cough* feral one on the way past.

PH

Interesting graph pertaining to distances at the bottom of this page.

http://www.dheaf.plus.com/warrebeekeeping/bait_hives.htm

Have moved mine slightly today after finding geopathic stress lines on my land and placing them on these lines. Could be nonsense -we'll see, time will tell. Good luck

If someone has good Photoshop skills we could start a 'Spot the Warre' competition. Erase them from the images and see who gets closest guessing where they were.

G.

If someone has good Photoshop skills we could start a 'Spot the Warre' competition. Erase them from the images and see who gets closest guessing where they were.

G.
Amusing idea, but if you look closely they are not all Warre!:)

Have moved mine slightly today after finding geopathic stress lines on my land and placing them on these lines. Could be nonsense -we'll see, time will tell. Good luck

I have absolutely no idea why, but last year bait hives over the east to west silver load were soon occupied, but others not over the load line were ignored

Have placed some nodules of chalcopyrite under one empty hive to see if this has any effect... but at the end of the day Grandad's old bait sausage recipe works wonders!

I'm thinking about putting healing crystals on each hive to see if it would help reduce the varroa, has anyone tried this yet?
:)

I don't know if this is true but I have heard that a bait hive is best positioned with the entrance well above the ground e.g. waist height. Does anybody have views on this aspect?

had a swarm move into a hive I had in the garden last year (16/04/2011). It was a second hand jobbie full of old (and untrusted) brood comb awaiting destruction. It was on the floor, in the shade, entrance facing west, dogs peeing up it, etc. Basically exactly what you wouldn't do if you wanted a bait hive. I think the key is the lingering smell of brood as much as anything.

I caught 2 swarms last year out of 2 old old hives on the ground/ all the frames were completly had it ,they had been in a garden 5 years. I took the old frames out and shook all the bees in a new box of foundation.. So as the last post says i think the old comb lured them in

Latest posts

Back