hot weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
with the hot weather and becoming hotter this week -i know bees have their own air conditioning system but do we still have to protect them from extreme heat? if so how?:coolgleamA:

Last edited:
Hi Bluesman, I don't think you have to worry too much. You live in the same part of the world as me and we definitely don't get extreme heat here. It would be lovely if we did. :)

if they can sort it in a tree trunk they can sort it in a hive!!! Don't worry they will keep the temp right, especially with mesh floors
E

Water plus wings, many thousands of, equals 'Air Conditioning'

Dinna worry

VM

with the hot weather and becoming hotter this week -i know bees have their own air conditioning system but do we still have to protect them from extreme heat? if so how?:coolgleamA:

Hot then hotter! Just a few miles from Kathryn and I agree - I'm sure the rain that's forecast will keep them nice and cool! was a lot hotter a few months back, at least it should keep the flow going:)

Hi Bluesman, I don't think you have to worry too much. You live in the same part of the world as me and we definitely don't get extreme heat here. It would be lovely if we did. :)

Wouldn't it? Extreme wet here at the moment.

You live in the same part of the world as me

Yes, we (most on the forum) live in the same part of the world as you. The UK.

Remember the brood nest needs to be around 35 degrees Celsius, so the bees which have a compact nest, to keep the temperature controlled, will simply have to disperse a little more warm air, the first weapon in their 'air-con' arsenal. If they do not have enough nectar to evaporate (which requires an awful lot of thermal energy per unit mass), they would be bringing back water for extra evaporative cooling. So VM and drstitson have said enough to demonstrate there is no need for worrying on this score, and enrico has pointed out yet another benefit of an OMF.

Regards, RAB

Certainly no problem with extreme heat in this part of the UK this morning!

But if it gets hotter, I find that the simplest solutions are the best - extra ice in the pink gin works really well for me - and after two or three of those, I find it easy enough to leave the bees to their own arrangements!

thanks all for your advice on hot weather in wales -must of thought for a moment i was in the tropics:ack2:

Latest posts

Back