Hot, no flow, scarce water, discuss....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
Hi

I am West London. 6 hives (2 strong, 3 from June splits, 1 NUC). This is new territory for many of us who have "suffered" no rain for over 10 weeks now....

Thought this thread could be good for specific discussion for newbees and experts to share actions.

• Provide water
  • Ensure hives are cool (no inspection board, crownboard ventilated, no blockages on roof)
  • Stores of honey are good (consider rapid feeding if needed?)
  • Pray for rain!
  • Any other tips?

My supers are not filling at all..is there any way to promote wax building so at least we can use efficient energy or will the bees be preserving ALL energy?

Any useful answers, new comments or questions welcomed.....

Cheers

They will continue to use established water source unless it dries up completely, mine use garden pond so still plenty there.

Mesh floor is adequate ventilation, no need to do anything at the top.

Honey bees thrive in climates where this weather is the norm.

Thanks for answer...

Obviously I am fully aware that the bees thrive in weather hotter and drier than this. But English bee keepers don't and this forum is for bee keepers not bees.....

This is the first July i've not seen my supers bursting with activity; I know myself and others are keen to pick up any tips on how we adapt to the heat wave....

Anything on feeding, supers and general space management, do's and don'ts, even winter prep thinking is useful....

Well sorry, didn't mean to sound flippant, but to be honest I have done nothing different with my hives this summer except pile the supers on and they have produced a huge crop.

Coming to and end now though.

Obviously I am fully aware that the bees thrive in weather hotter and drier than this. But English bee keepers don't and this forum is for bee keepers not bees.....

That must be one of the most ludicrous statements I've heard on here for a while.

according to others on here, the flow is all but over in London, so don't expect much activity comb drawing and stores wise in the supers from now on. Start thinking about taking them off.
They'll find water - London is not yet a desert (not physically - culturally and intellectually perhaps)
No need for 'ventilation' no need for holes in roof. Inspection boards on OMF should only be in when doing mite checks anyway.
If you are on solid floors, bees will cope fine, they do in Africa, and with small entrances permanently fixed.
Hives don't need to be cooled.
Of course, if these answers don't please you, tell us what answers you would prefer and we can oblige.

Of course, if you insist this is a forum for beekeepers not bees:

Sleep naked under a damp sheet
Leave windows open
wear cotton underwear (or none at all)
wear shorts
Thick cotton shirts have a better cooling effect than thin ones as they absorb sweat and the act of evaporation cools the body
DON'T wear socks with your sandals.
increase fluid intake.
Buy a hat

Hi

I am West London. 6 hives (2 strong, 3 from June splits, 1 NUC). This is new territory for many of us who have "suffered" no rain for over 10 weeks now....

Thought this thread could be good for specific discussion for newbees and experts to share actions.

• Provide water
  • Ensure hives are cool (no inspection board, crownboard ventilated, no blockages on roof)
  • Pray for rain!
  • Any other tips?

My supers are not filling at all..is there any way to promote wax building so at least we can use efficient energy or will the bees be preserving ALL energy?

Cheers
I think your list has it covered. Open mesh floors should be enough especially if they enough room to just "hang out". Feed them by all means, fondant or syrup for a while. They will shortly be getting ready for winter and will be slowing down anyway, this hot weather and dearth of forage will probably accelerate the process.

Oh yes, pray harder for rain to encourage an autumnal flow.

That must be one of the most ludicrous statements I've heard on here for a while.

according to others on here, the flow is all but over in London, so don't expect much activity comb drawing and stores wise in the supers from now on. Start thinking about taking them off.
They'll find water - London is not yet a desert (not physically - culturally and intellectually perhaps)
No need for 'ventilation' no need for holes in roof. Inspection boards on OMF should only be in when doing mite checks anyway.
If you are on solid floors, bees will cope fine, they do in Africa, and with small entrances permanently fixed.
Hives don't need to be cooled.
Of course, if these answers don't please you, tell us what answers you would prefer and we can oblige.

Leave windows open
wear shorts
Thick cotton shirts have a better cooling effect than thin ones as they absorb sweat and the act of evaporation cools the body
increase fluid intake.
Buy a hat

Well your reputation as a captious prig proceeds you sir. What you have defined above of course can apply to not just a bee keeper (which to paraphrase Python "should not be taken literally but refers to any keeper of honey bees and their products"). Thus, your little list above could of course be employed by keepers of goals, wills and, say, long trousers, though in the latter case your capricious guidance might be problematic.

Philosophically of course its hard to argue with the premise this forum isn't for bees themselves. Ive searched the archives to see if you have picked up some poor beek who who has fallen for your razor like Wildeian wit, the poor dolt, in novice and nervous early days, positing some satirical gobbit about bees being able to read and you pouncing on them like a welsh sabre tooth rabbit. Alas, I could not, but like Wilde you are probably adept at covering your tracks, capping your attacks with the wax of which I (or my bees, or the bees, or all of us, delete as you feel necessary) so desperately yearn.

Here in the cultural wastelands of London, I will extract your useful comments, many thanks.

Well your reputation as a captious prig proceeds you sir. What you have defined above of course can apply to not just a bee keeper (which to paraphrase Python "should not be taken literally but refers to any keeper of honey bees and their products"). Thus, your little list above could of course be employed by keepers of goals, wills and, say, long trousers, though in the latter case your capricious guidance might be problematic.

Philosophically of course its hard to argue with the premise this forum isn't for bees themselves. Ive searched the archives to see if you have picked up some poor beek who who has fallen for your razor like Wildeian wit, the poor dolt, in novice and nervous early days, positing some satirical gobbit about bees being able to read and you pouncing on them like a welsh sabre tooth rabbit. Alas, I could not, but like Wilde you are probably adept at covering your tracks, capping your attacks with the wax of which I (or my bees, or the bees, or all of us, delete as you feel necessary) so desperately yearn.

Here in the cultural wastelands of London, I will extract your useful comments, many thanks.
Wow, that is a reply and a half. Now where did I leave my tin hat? And popcorn for the main event.:D

Of course, we forget that londoners see themselves as special (In the american sense for some of us) therefore common sense practical beekeeping doesn't apply in their little bubble.
The OP is obviously so far stuffed up his own fundamental that he is not actually seeking advice but seeking people to agree to his own flawed opinion.
I suggest everyone just chuck whatever advice they see fit at him and then he can tell us which ones suits his habitat curtains the best.

Hi

• Provide water
  • Pray for rain!
  • Any other tips?

Cheers

I am not a newbee, and most certainly will never be an expert, but you are worrying and overthinking too much

Let the bees get on with what they do - they will find forage if it's out there

Take helpfull anti-robbing measures, extract what you can mid August then crack on with varroa treatment and feeding for winter

Leave windows open
wear shorts
increase fluid intake.
Buy a hat

I'd better take my socks off then.

Many of my colonies have been sitting at the edge of a field of sugarbeet in full sun. 25 - 30 degree air temperature. What's the temperature on the side of a dark-stained hive in full sun I wonder? Small entrances. Insulated roofs. Mesh floors: All good.

Trying to put warm floppy foundation into frames in my bee shed: Not good!

I am not a newbee, and most certainly will never be an expert, but you are worrying and overthinking too much

Let the bees get on with what they do - they will find forage if it's out there

Take helpfull anti-robbing measures, extract what you can mid August then crack on with varroa treatment and feeding for winter

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Of course, we forget that londoners see themselves as special (In the american sense for some of us) therefore common sense practical beekeeping doesn't apply in their little bubble.
The OP is obviously so far stuffed up his own fundamental that he is not actually seeking advice but seeking people to agree to his own flawed opinion.
I suggest everyone just chuck whatever advice they see fit at him and then he can tell us which ones suits his habitat curtains the best.

Phew - I have received the royal decree and his nibs' subjects and confidants are free to offer me advice. Imagine that me, a townie, a fake cockney, more adept at pick pocketing and eating whelks than bee keeping but allowed to absorb the 'Wisdom of the Beeks' and (hopefully with a fair wind and a bit of Welsh magic) talking and reading bees. And there I was ready to apologise for questioning the bee-ristocracy "beth yw brenin hudolus!"

PS Does anyone know if this bubble is disallowing adequate forage?

Last edited:
It's already been said, talk about over thinking. We might find this weather uncomfortable but why do we think other creatures feel the same? Bees in Australia carry on about their business when the mercury hits the forties.

It's already been said, talk about over thinking. We might find this weather uncomfortable but why do we think other creatures feel the same? Bees in Australia carry on about their business when the mercury hits the forties.

Hang on a minute...you and others call in to question the purpose of a beginners section with retorts such as this...At no point in my OP or further did I indicate panic nor emergency over these extraordinarily hot conditions. My question was written in an honest and inquisitive attempt to to try and help other newbies to understand (by way of my own assumed methods and by enquiring of folks who know a load more than me) what methods one might employ in the apiary, in the UK and particularly in the south east, when its bloody hot..In fact bloody hotter than its probably ever been, ever.

Since then I've been told to chill out, dont think so much, recognise they are bees and they function quite happily in hot climes and let nature get on with it.

Fair advice on the face of it and probably how I'd have acted anyhow...But I wont be using this to invite my new London based (or elsewhere for that matter) bee keeping friends to join the patient, open minded experts in the beginners section of the beekeeping forum....

Maybe we should have 'snippy dogmatists' or 'intolerant neo-Elitists' sections?

(Actually maybe I need to have an iced water, a compress and a cold swim)

Last edited:
Seems the prolonged heat is making lots of beekeepers more tetchy than their bees.

JonnyPicklechin, i understood your OP in the vein you wrote it. I am a new beek and have found the advice given reassuring that im doing everything correctly. There was no need for jenkins to start the game of who can pee higher. Though you seemed to handle your reply adequately. I too live in the south and this summer is unprecidented. I was reading today although 1976 had high temps for more consecutive days in june, july has blown '76 out of the park, and for both months this year has had less rain fall down south. The only reason we have not had it named a drought is in '76 it was a dry spring so lower water table than our delayed ×tter start. I too would like my bees to draw supers as they are clogging the bb with too many stores. Ive manipulated frames, bruised stores, popped a borrowed frame of honey up top but still they are not playing ball. So now im trying patience.

Hang on a minute...you and others call in to question the purpose of a beginners section with retorts such as this...At no point in my OP or further did I indicate panic nor emergency over these extraordinarily hot conditions. My question was written in an honest and inquisitive attempt to to try and help other newbies to understand (by way of my own assumed methods and by enquiring of folks who know a load more than me) what methods one might employ in the apiary, in the UK and particularly in the south east, when its bloody hot..In fact bloody hotter than its probably ever been, ever.

Since then I've been told to chill out, dont think so much, recognise they are bees and they function quite happily in hot climes and let nature get on with it.

Fair advice on the face of it and probably how I'd have acted anyhow...But I wont be using this to invite my new London based (or elsewhere for that matter) bee keeping friends to join the patient, open minded experts in the beginners section of the beekeeping forum....

Maybe we should have 'snippy dogmatists' or 'intolerant neo-Elitists' sections?

(Actually maybe I need to have an iced water, a compress and a cold swim)

Conditions haven't reached those of 1969 yet and they are a long way off reaching the fifteen consecutive days in excess of 32 degrees that we had in 1976.

I too live in the south and this summer is unprecidented. I was reading today although 1976 had high temps for more consecutive days in june, july has blown '76 out of the park, and for both months this year has had less rain fall down south. The only reason we have not had it named a drought is in '76 it was a dry spring so lower water table than our delayed ×tter start.

Where did you read that? I remember the met office saying this April was the driest on record and May was the warmest.
26th of July 1976 I bought a ferret and we were still melting in the heat. I went camping on the Gower and that was into August.
This year has a long way to go to match 1976.

Latest posts

Back