Horizon: What’s Killing Our Bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Just a heads up for anyone who didn't know its on.

BBC Two on Friday, August 2.

BBC presenter Bill Turnbull’s been a busy bee.

My anti virus says thats a dodgy link.... it then blocked it

Lets hope it will be safe to watch on your television, maybe you have some dodgy stuff which has worked its way into your electrical system, hope it does not cause your TV to explode and destroy your dwelling place... plus everything within a half mile radius.

Last edited:
Lets hope it will be safe to watch on your television, maybe you have some dodgy stuff which has worked its way into your electrical system, hope it does not cause your TV to explode and destroy your dwelling place... plus everything within a half mile radius.

Not sure I get what your driving at hm. But I will be watching it on my tv so thanks for your concern, much appreciated.

What did anyone think?

After a panicky first 10 minutes, when I thought he was going to overstate the (UK) problem to a ridiculous extent, I thought it developed into a pretty good description of the current state of play

You had to be alert to spot that the losses suffered by the Sottish beek he interviewed (forum member?) were (probably) nothing to do with the issues discussed in the rest of the programme, which was a bit sloppy/lazy

I found the discussion of including insect-friendly plants in field margins a bit muddled. How exactly does that help the yield of (say) cereals in the rest of the field, as claimed?

GM as a long term solution to the problem should excite a few people here :reddevil:

PS - is Bill himself a forum member?

Last edited:
What did anyone think?

I found the discussion of including insect-friendly plants in field margins a bit muddled. How exactly does that help the yield of (say) cereals in the rest of the field, as claimed?

GM as a long term solution to the problem should excite a few people here :reddevil:

PS - is Bill himself a forum member?

The idea of field margins and beetle banks is by no means a modern concept. They were espoused when I was at uni 20 years ago. Basically, they allow large populations of beneficial insects to thrive which then predate pests that feed on the crop. You never remove all the pests, but it is an alternative to either broad spectrum pestcide sprays that kill everything, or spraying when critical population levels in a measured area reach a certain volume, when you spray in theory, just to kill that predator, if such an insecticide exists.

As a farmer, you can choose to go fully organic, no sprays or artificial herbicides or fertilizers, or just fertilize, minimum weed control and rely on the natural predators to do their stuff.

An added benefit is the field margins can see a plethora of wild flowers flourish if they are managed correctly, of course invaluable to our little buzzers.

bee-smilliebee-smillie

Latest posts

Back