Hoorah finally !!!!!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
After the best part of 4 yrs of putting out bait hives,yesterday at approx 10.30 am, while I was at my apiary inspecting, I got a text from my partner saying the bait hive on the shed roof was covered in bees :).Low and behold I get home and a very nice swarm has taken up residence in my bait hive.
I've waited ages and I missed the arrival :hairpull:.
Oh well I'll see it happen one day.

Good luck to both of you with your new arrivals. Mark for the first time the other day I saw a big prim swarm I hived four days before up and leave, it was an amazing sight watching them piling out of the entrance and filling the air then deciding to settle in a tree. It happened I think quite quickly, from leaving to settling about 10 mins.

Hi mark s,
Congratulations - shame you missed it. Did you get the photos? You may get another one in the same position so keep going!

Yep, after 8 years doing this malarky, I finally got a swarm in a bait box this year. Shame it had to be one of mine- but I didnt lose it- and no tree climbing for once - getting too old for that game...

Yep, after 8 years doing this malarky, I finally got a swarm in a bait box this year. Shame it had to be one of mine- but I didnt lose it- and no tree climbing for once - getting too old for that game...
Great news for you. I placed a bait hive on a friends garage roof approx 2 months ago, he had not seen any bees in his garden until wednesday last week when he saw a couple of bees aroung my hive. On Thursday morning the swarm arrived, landing on a nearby fence, garage door and roof, within a couple of hours that had made thier way into the bait hive. I collected about 9pm and took to my apiary, Friday afternoon I re-housed into a national brood box. I visited yersteday and they are still there approx 2 full frmaes of bees and collecting nectar, I just hope they stay!!

They are hived now medium sized caste swarm I think with a lovely looking queen:)

Latest posts

Back