honeycomb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
Hi All

I am wanting to produce some honey comb this year ( or at least get the bees to), mainly because my mother-in-law really likes it, and secondly my bees are residing at the top end of her field, so seems only polite to do so. I could buy specially made frames to do this or even wire-free foundation...but wondered if it would be OK to make up a wooden frame as normal, but omit the foundation. I know that it will take more time etc. for the bees to make it from scratch, but seemed more 'all theirs" if you know what I mean. However, would it be a bad idea, e.g. will they go a little mad with the 'design' of it, and it not fit properly alongside the normal frames. Therefore is it a really silly idea?

Much appreciated in advance

I think simple is best.

Buy some special foundation that is for cut comb... it has no wires and is thinnner, so is supposed to make a nicer product.. Kemble sells it.

Then put this foundation in your super frames and the bees will do the rest. It is ready when it is sealed.

Simples. [The cutting the comb and putting it in containers is a little messy/tricky... but aks on here and somone will tell you.]

Cut comb foundation, Manley frame to hold it.

Is all that I produce.

PH

x post :) sorry

Yes Manley is better, but if only doing a few, it is not essential

Certainly not essential but makes for a far better end result and the poster wants to repay his "land lady"

For all they cost. And actually the side bars are very easy to cut on a table saw.

PH

RE frame making a difference it certainly does.

However if it is being assumed that bees are on spacers than I agree you can space by hand.

However I always used Hoffmans in my supers and so used Manleys for my cut comb and still do. Hence I suggest to use Manley.

KISS

PH

Have to agree to differ then,i consider hoffmans and manleys a waste of time in supers.

......but wondered if it would be OK to make up a wooden frame as normal, but omit the foundation......

Quite apart from which frames/spacing that people wiser than me have suggested I believe the answer to your question is "Yes" it is possible to just use frames with no* foundation and let the Bees build it all from scratch.

This is about the most KISS you could get I would imagine ;-)

* I think you need (or its best to use) some sort of "starter/guide" to begin with.
I have seen suggestions ranging from "starter strips" of normal foundation through having a wedge shape wooden strip (point down) to get them going.

I am going to give this a go this year.....

Latest posts

Back