Honeycomb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe sell combination packs? Honey and gorgonzola or other strong blue cheese
Opened up a hive in the back garden this evening. No gloves, just a vale, as that colony is usually very relaxed.
Unusually, they started headbutting my hands. Then I remembered I'd just been eating some rather ripe Stilton.

Last edited:
Add to the label a nudge to re-use the container.
But if the primary produces aren’t/can’t use re-used containers what hope is there for the next owner. For as long as we sell them they will keep producing them and once produced they are here for almost ever. There is only so much reusing that can realistically go on.
Let's not kid ourselves if we are actually adding to the problem.

I'm hoping that when I put this sort of plastic into the recycling bin that. it is recycled into something useful. You're quite right - I'd much prefer to present my honeycomb in a small purpose-made waterproof cardboard box with a transparent top - but I've never come across it.
And it does seem that more and more plastic is entering beekeeping.

I'm hoping that when I put this sort of plastic into the recycling bin that. it is recycled into something useful. You're quite right - I'd much prefer to present my honeycomb in a small purpose-made waterproof cardboard box with a transparent top - but I've never come across it.
And it does seem that more and more plastic is entering beekeeping.

How about putting comb in honey jars and then filling the jar with honey?
It's then postable and in a recyclable /reusable container.
View attachment 40706
I thought that was chunk honey and I have seen it for sale all over the place. For show purposes I believe that the bottom of the jar is heated and the chunk put in perpendicular and the wax at the bottom of the comb chunk sticks to the hot jar. The jar is then filled with liquid honey turning and tipping the jar which lets any air bubbles escape. Being stuck to the bottom of the jar the chunk does not float or touch the lid.

Latest posts

Back