Honey Labelling - The Small Print

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I e-mailed the Food Standards Agency with the following question:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Please could you inform me what the minimum font size for lettering is for use on Honey Labels ?

The reply came back:

"Labelling is looked after by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

I have forwarded your enquiry to the Defra helpline. Should you need to contact them the email address is: [email protected]

Kind regards

FSA Helpline
"

However, I have since heard nothing from DEFRA. I would be grateful if anyone on the Forum knew the answer to my question about minimum font size.

Honey labeling in all it's nitpicking glory is one of the high points of module 2.

Some unsung hero has done a superb set of cramming notes - that just happen to have chapter and verse on this engrossing subject

http://modulenotes.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/module-2-study-notes-0702121.pdf

enjoy:rules:

Thank you ! :)

The
lettering must be 3 mm high for weights between 50 and 200 g, 4 mm high for weights between 200 g and a
kg and 6 mm high for greater weights. Only the weight declarations have to be a certain size.
The criterion for the size of all the other statutory information is that it must be easy to understand, clearly
legible, indelible, not interrupted by other written or pictorial matter and in a conspicuous place such as to be
easily visible.

Great, thanks to all the contributors on this thread for their authoritive answers and their generosity of spirit in helping me out.

Latest posts

Back