Honey Fudge

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tablet - Imagine heaven (as you see it) take a bite...and that is tablet...Sorry, my Dad visited family every year in Scotland and brought home a bag of Tablet and another of Macaroon Bars and another of proper oatcakes...it shaped my childhood...and adulthood come to that...as well as my waistline!!

It is softer than fudge...not as 'fudgey' as fudge, not as hard as toffee, not as granular as fudge but more granular than some fudges...OOOO not doing well - Heaven...just heaven....

Tablet first then fudge

Yes, in the UK, the ones on the left is "tablet" and the ones on the right is "fudge". In some other parts of the English-speaking world, the ones of the left is fudge and the ones on the right is failed fudge.

Yes, in the UK, the ones on the left is "tablet" and the ones on the right is "fudge". In some other parts of the English-speaking world, the ones of the left is fudge and the ones on the right is failed fudge.
Now that's funny I thought the one on the right was the dodgy fudge and the one on the left (tablet) was the correct form on fudge as I like it like that, must be a Celt thing

1st time lucky?

Made this recipe and first time, it came out beautifully, nice smooth tablet. However, 2nd and 3rd attempts have come out much softer and quite noticably sugary/crystalised. Thought that I had disolved caster before soft ball stage but the end result is rather disappointing. Any obvious mistakes that I'm making? has anyone else encountered the same?

Made this recipe and first time, it came out beautifully, nice smooth tablet. However, 2nd and 3rd attempts have come out much softer and quite noticably sugary/crystalised. Thought that I had disolved caster before soft ball stage but the end result is rather disappointing. Any obvious mistakes that I'm making? has anyone else encountered the same?

This happened to me also. I used the softer stuff for millionaire's shortbread which was amazing. In my case, the second batch was 2 x as big and I used cream instead of milk. I think the mistake was neither the cream nor the size of the batch it was to not have a good sight of the thermometer - The light bulb in the kitchen had gone! I will be having another go this weekend.

Mine turns out like tablet every time but once (then it was more like fudge)
I whisk instead of beating.
I do some for the farmers' market where I sell honey and it always goes really well.

Thought this fudge making would be easy. How wrong can one be!

First problem was the £2.5 sugar thermometer from flea bay. Not easy to read and could not seem to get the rapid boil much above 220 deg F so possibly it was under reading.

In the process of stirring also splashed some fudge up the side of the pan which then rapidly turned black as it burnt.

So lessons learnt are that you need buy a decent thermometer and don't use your wifes best pans for the first attempt.

Honey oat biscuits turned out well though so at least one recipe worked today.

andy - you don't actually need a thermometer - aside from doing the glass of water test, the mixture actually reaches a point whilst stirring on the heat where it visibly darkens before your eyes. that is the point you want, catching it before it goes to far.

Couldn't do the water test as I was afraid to stop stirring the mixture.

Not sure if I will try again as found the whole process far too difficult but thanks for the advice.

Andy

Whoop - Did this for the Christmas Comm. Market - which was so quiet it was hardly worth doing - and sold all but one bag!! He he, only problem? About 10 people asked if I was doing tablet next month, 10 wanted honey fudge again...and 10 wanted loaves of bread as I made my own for samples!!

Made a batch of Dr S‘s recipe last night. Only had osr honey so quite subtle. Mixture was still soft this morning so I've left it in the capable hands of SWMBO as I'm away on a course for a few days. Interesting to see if any left when i get back!!

"So lessons learnt are that you need buy a decent thermometer"

you don't really need it once you realise that when it gets to about the correct temperature the rate of change of colour (darkening) increases significantly, such that for every stir you are mixing obviously different shades.

I made this fudge again the other day, but didn't trust that it would set so I brought up the boiling temperature. It made the most beautiful toffee I've ever had. :D

Brought this up again as I want to make some for a short break away with a friend. I have made Tablet Fudge and other sweets for years but never with honey so this will be something new. I like the idea of sea salt sprinkled on top of fudge.
Tablet! Swooooon. anyone for Edinburgh rock.

I have just tried to make some fudge for the first time (different recipe), but after about 1.5 hours it still seems to be pretty soft. How long does it need to get hard or did I do something wrong?

Latest posts

Back