Honey Fudge

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry about the rough edge in photo - had got a bit squashed and sweaty in my handluggage!!!! (along with 1.5kg of the soft caramelly stuff in a metal tray - security loved that!!!!!)

i cannot see photo, have I lost any settings to see attachments

Disappeared at server change probably.
Tom, if you pour it as soon as it starts getting thick then you will get a fudgy fudge. If you keep whisking it turns into a sort of tablet.
I like the suggestion of sprinkling a little salt on it ....yummy!

How much do people charge for this sort of thing? Someone at the Community Market was charging £4.25 per 1/4 which I thought was dear...

EDIT: For normal fudge NOT honey fudge...

Disappeared at server change probably.
Tom, if you pour it as soon as it starts getting thick then you will get a fudgy fudge. If you keep whisking it turns into a sort of tablet.
I like the suggestion of sprinkling a little salt on it ....yummy!

Cheers will do both me thinks :drool5:

How much do people charge for this sort of thing? Someone at the Community Market was charging £4.25 per 1/4 which I thought was dear...

EDIT: For normal fudge NOT honey fudge...

I have just done a Christmas Fayre.
A chap in the hall was selling those large blocks of fudge you see in tourist spots.
It was going for £1.59 per 100g.....all sorts of strange flavours and colours.
I had my honey fudge on for £1.50 for 4oz (113g) wrapped in cellophane with a sparkly ribbon. Even there I was doubling my costs and no food regs to pay for so I think my price was fair. It all went :)

Doe anyone have a good Honey Fudge recipe...

All of the recipies in this thread are for honey-FLAVOURED fudge. I wonder if it would be possible to make fudge in which honey is used instead of sugar altogether. Of course, for a quick fudge recipe one would have to use tinned condensed milk, which is sweetened with sugar, but even quick fudge recipes require extra sugar in addition to the sugar in the condensed milk.

It is also possible to make fantastic fudge without condensed milk (with a brush and a thermometer to make sure you don't end up with hard candy), but it takes much longer and it requires quite a bit of skill and trial and error and... and... well, using condensed milk is just faster and easier.

So... anyone have any honey fudge recipes that don't have "sugar" (whether castor sugar or icing sugar) in it?

Samuel

"Preparation
The ingredients for fudge need to be heated to the ‘soft ball’ stage (ie a temperature of 112-116C/234-240F). The mixture is then beaten until it cools to give the fudge a smooth, creamy consistency. If the mixture is not beaten sufficiently, it will set with large sugar crystals and the resulting fudge will be grainy.

Experiment with fudge recipes: try using brown sugar or maple syrup instead of refined white sugar – it can alter the taste dramatically. Alternatively, before the fudge sets, mix in ingredients such as nuts or dried fruit to add texture and flavour."

This is from the bbc food website they seem to think you could use a liquid sugar, but im not to sure about honey due to it being inverted, I spose if you used a fast setting honey like OSR or clover then it may work well.

It might work.
Dr S's fudge recipe calls for approx 1kg sugar. You would have to boil off quite a bit of water from the equivalent of honey.
Why don't you try it?

"Dr S's fudge recipe calls for approx 1kg sugar"

sorry - having spent best part of 7 years studying in Aberdeen am very much at the tablet end of the fudge lovers spectrum!

From Wickipedia:
"Tablet (taiblet in Scots) is a medium-hard, sugary confection from Scotland. Tablet is usually made from sugar, condensed milk, and butter, boiled to a soft-ball stage and allowed to crystallize. It is often flavoured with vanilla, and sometimes has nut pieces in it.
Tablet differs from fudge in that it has a brittle, grainy texture, where fudge is much softer. Well-made tablet is a medium-hard confection, not as soft as fudge, but not as hard as hard candy."

Rich

so more toffee like than fudge?

Well yes and no - texture isn't like toffee and come to think of it nor is the taste so more no than yes....that doesn't really help does it??

so more toffee like than fudge?

No, it's like a slightly crystallised fudge. It's quite crumbly round the edges and is usually quite a light colour. It melts in the mouth, isn't chewy.

Latest posts

Back