Honey Extractor / Spinner: Recommendation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
Looking for recommendations for an extractor. I'd like one that can handle National brood frames as well National supers (First year Demarees have been pretty successful.) Throughput is low, 5 or 6 boxes 3 times per year.

Thanks much...

i bought one of cheap chinese ones from ebay for about £80 ,whilst the build quality was good ,i found the gaps for frames were too big for national supers to remain stable and pretty much destroyed the wax (but did extract all the honey !)

Have used a Giordan 8 frame, radial, drill driven for last 9 years. Takes brood frames with tangential screens. Really pleased with it. Still as good as new. They were very cheap then, compared to rest of market. The supplier I got mine from has since gone out of business.

I would suggest getting the largest you can afford and just as importantly store, realistically prices for extractors from the various new suppliers are affordable. Consider your future requirements. 12 frames are good middle of the road extractors and had a thornes 1 when I started I’m shore it cost double what they are now and that was many years ago.

I would suggest getting the largest you can afford and just as importantly store, realistically prices for extractors from the various new suppliers are affordable. Consider your future requirements. 12 frames are good middle of the road extractors and had a thornes 1 when I started I’m shore it cost double what they are now and that was many years ago.

Buy s'hand carefully and get an electric one cheap.. |Well worth the reduction in hassle and IF you do expand, essential

Remember - most are imported, the £ is likely to continue falling as it is doing.. so prices will keep rising..

Have used a Giordan 8 frame, radial, drill driven for last 9 years. Takes brood frames with tangential screens. Really pleased with it. Still as good as new. They were very cheap then, compared to rest of market. The supplier I got mine from has since gone out of business.

I used to have the same Giordan extractor, upgraded this year to a larger Lyson model. I got mine from Agrinova in 2013. My understanding is that the company closed down following the death in 2015 of the owner, Clive Newitt, although they may have gone on trading for a few years.

Yes, I remember now. As my wife's family were in Walden, and it is not far, I went to his place to pick it up. Got some good advice and a tour of the premises. A nice man. Could not believe how much cheaper it was compared to other makes. The prices in general have increased tremendously since then

I have recently got one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55571-St...192433?hash=item56b9d8faf1:g:viQAAOSw3xJVeATe

I actually have the electric version. It says it will spin 4 brood frames - tangential.
However using a set of these:

https://www.simonthebeekeeper.co.uk/honey-processing/10046-4-x-honey-extractor-frame-clips.html

You are able to put 4 super frames in the radial position.

So you will be able to spin 4 super frames radial, or 4 brood frames tangential.

It was a bit of a faff to suss how to use the clips. And is a bit fiddly to get the frames in and out. But I quickly got the knack and find it very easy now.

This is where I got the idea, and how to do a better modification:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyFeaLxCsNw&t=349s

I am so far very happy with this extractor and think it offered good versatility and value for money.

We've replaced our four frame manual with a twelve frame electric. The difference in size and weight is marked. Handling and storage is a lot more difficult. Bear that in mind when choosing your extractor.

Got my 9 frame from Carl Fritz at Bee Tradex 5 years ago. Gave me the chance to look at them all before I bought. Yes it was expensive, but not the most.

Reflections after 5 years. Quality is incredible. The thickness of the casing and solidity of the build is very reassuring. It has one size of nut, and supplies the tool to tighten. To disassemble for cleaning you undo 2 wingnuts and lift off the motor and then the cage that holds the frames. There is a plastic cap (supplied) which covers the bearing whilst you flush it with water.
Was a great purchase for me, and makes extracting a pleasure.

I'm not sure how easy others are to clean but I would find out before you buy.

Back