Honey dripping through ceiling…..advice?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last one I did was in a bathroom ceiling which was lathe and plaster - much harder to deal with and repair than modern plaster board - it measured 50cm wide x 20cm deep and 260cm long.!! we got the queen though:)

Good luck with the challenge - wish I was closer:spy:

MJBee that is awesome I can't believe the size if the colony. I dont fancy doing one on my own but would readily help out with one.

Jeez MBees....That is one monster colony...:eek:

Hope mine isn't as big as that one.....lol

I'd better take an extra Brood box though just in case....

Thanks for all the help and advice! We're on for tomorrow evening. Picking up a drywall saw from screwfix on the way home (thanks @drstitson) and a bunch of other bits and pieces, plastic sheeting etc. I really don't think/hope it will be that big! Excited and a little nervous I must admit. :D Will let you all know the outcome.

good luck!! remember to duck tape round your wrists and ankles :)

and the great thing about screwfix is you can order whilst sitting eating your friday night fish n chips and then head out to collect later once the crazy pre-BH weekend traffic has died down.

Bummer....got to the property and they were Bumbles, not Honey Bees....:banghead:

There was (a little) nectar dripping through the edge of the plaster board so I can only guess the tiles had absorbed heat from the sun and melted some of the nectar pods in the nest.....

Anyway, lovely guy, who is interested in getting into bee keeping so Pete (my mate who lives about 3 miles from his house) took his number and is going to let him accompany him on his next inspections.

A little disappointing as it would have been a good experience for me and Pete who have never done a cut out but tbh, I think the owner was more frustrated than we were as he seemed to be really looking forward to the experience and had spent a good hour bee proofing the area....lol

Anyway, never mind. Rather me waste half an hour than a colony be destroyed needlessly and the OP saved loads of money by agreeing to let them be.

Hey all,
I'm just looking for some advice really.

I called Leeds Beekeepers Association the next day and spoke to a very helpful man who told me unfortunately because of where the bees are located there would be no option but to destroy them, which I really don't want to do but he's the expert. He has arranged for a pest control company to call me and arrange the deed but . . . . . .
Any advice or information you can give would be much appreciated. . . . . . .Thanks for any advice you have.

Greg

good pest companies wont exterminate them, because if they did, and did not block up the old colonies home correctly, and robbers got in for the honey, picking up the pesticide as they did so, and taking back to another hive and then the pesticide killing that hive, they would be up the creek without a paddle, firms have been fined thousands, so its far easier to tell customers that want them dead, that they are protected

You could, (obviously wearing veil etc whilst doing so) remove the plasterboard and replace it with foil-backed board or position a non permeable membrane between the comb and your ceiling?

:nature-smiley-013:

Latest posts

Back