honey collection early spring? Advice sought.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make up your mind!

Mind is made up, one is simply about the type/make of hive they are kept in, if you remember...this one is about leaving animals to most likely die of neglect.

Mind is made up, one is simply about the type/make of hive they are kept in, if you remember...this one is about leaving animals to most likely die of neglect.

And it would be legally neglect if the law actually applied to invertebrates.

And it would be legally neglect if the law actually applied to invertebrates.

Can not find the press cutting... but the RSPCA brought a prosecution against a Pub landlord for allowing snail races to be held on his premises.... pub like so many others is now long gone!

:calmdown:

Can not find the press cutting... but the RSPCA brought a prosecution against a Pub landlord for allowing snail races to be held on his premises.... pub like so many others is now long gone!

:calmdown:

How many RSPCA subscribers consider this good use of the money they donate?

...or if no time to look after his livestock properly, give them to someone who does.

A Hobby
an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure

Who hasn't neglected their bees either unintentionally or otherwise?
I've let colonies starve.
Don't we learn from our mistakes and the advice of others.
I set myself a benchmark but life occasionally gets in the way.
I don't condone neglecting one's bees but is there a set of minumum standards below which we shouldn't fall?
Is leaving the honey supers,QE and not treating for varroa a reason for recommending
give up yourt hobby mate
now the mistakes have been pointed out?

Otherwise?

Just because it's a hobby does not excuse not being responsible.

If it was a dog then I'd hope anyone "unintentionally or otherwise" not looking after its welfare would be criticised.

Just look at all the poor advice given on YouTube, non beekeepers telling beekeepers NOT to feed sugar syrup. They encourage the starvation of bees. Glasshouses come to mind.

This is in the beginners section. The OP has been given a good bashing amid some helpful advice. I hope they have learnt from their mistakes and decided to beef up their knowledge through reading or local association and continue to enjoy beekeeping. My early days were a steep learning curve too.

Or a dead colony - contrary to the maintained wisdom, the few instances I have heard reported, the bees did not abandon the queen, but stayed with her, and starved within inches of plentiful stores.

Have to admit, it happened to me a few years back.

Really strong colony, I'd insulated boxes after dark during treatment.

Came to spring & they were all clustered beneath the excluder & full 11 frames of honey, (presumed inedible to humans) inches above them! :eek::blush5::blush5:

Haven't used excluders since!

Otherwise?

Just because it's a hobby does not excuse not being responsible.

If it was a dog then I'd hope anyone "unintentionally or otherwise" not looking after its welfare would be criticised.
Does this line of thought cover you when doing an artificial swarm and then killing the old queen , just for financial gain?

Does this line of thought cover you when doing an artificial swarm and then killing the old queen , just for financial gain?

Why would it be for "just financial gain"?
A younger queen is "just" better for the colony.

Artificial swarm queens...if good then the only way they make any kind of financial reward is keeping them alive.

Last edited:

Why would you kill the old Queen.. the whole idea of doing a Artificial swarm is to keep the Queen and stop the bees from swarming..and in the process give you a new colony..you do not have to but if you felt the need you could splat one of the Queens and combine the two colonies but then it would not be financial gain as you have lost one hive..

Last edited:

No.
It implies a deep misunderstanding of managing these super organisms to suggest so imho.

Back