Honey Bees in small bird house

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel25

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

First off, I do feel guilty about coming on here just to post a problem, but I cannot find a better place and it's kudos to you lot for having a wide variety of ready information on our little furry friends.

So here's the problem: My house has a medium sized garden which is in the middle of a makeover. Last weekend I was out digging up the weeds when I watched a bumble bee flying about and landing into a small bird house which we have on the wall. After going in for a closer inspection I found that there was a definite settling down thing going on and decided to leave it at that. Unfortunately the box is only about 5 feet and slightly to the left of a brick barbecue, which we were hoping to use tomorrow for a party (using the Jubilee as an excuse of course).

I've done various research into the behaviour of bumble bees tonight and have found nothing that I didn't know, but I am far, far from considering myself an expert due to some internet reading. I know they are pretty much harmless and will only attack if unnecessarily provoked which is the last thing I want to do. If the barbecue was on the other side to the bird house then I wouldn't be concerned at all and would let them be about their business, but I fear that the smoke and hustle and bustle will agitate the little fellas.

Is there any information that you can give me with regards to the reaction of the bees being in close proximity to barbecue smoke? If they will get agitated then is there any way of moving them on without causing similar agitation?

Thanks for any help that is given.

i now have 3 bird boxes in my garden with bumbles in they are no problem.

please take on
in my experience bubble bees will keep themselves to themselves enjoy your jubilee bbq
if you try to do any thing now will only upset them
and you
enjoy have one of the most doscile bees in your garden after all they would have been their for a few weeks without you even noticing them till nownot worthy
try lighing your bbq this evening and oberve them if they are not bother then tomorrow may not be a wash out unless it rains

Last edited:
Thats a tough one.

The possibility of attack could be very high due to potential high jinx of the occasion.

You never know the smoke could help them disperse the area :sifone:

But whatever happens stay safe, in life and during the jubilee :cheers2:

I had them under my garage last year, in a gap in the paving. We had plenty of barbecues, cooking around that area and they just went about their business. There again, I've read a couple of accounts on this forum of defensive behaviour from Bumbles this year, so you never know. Not something I've come across myself, even when I dug up a nest when uprooting a bamboo plant. Must have been fifty at least and they were desperately trying to repair things.

Cheers for the responses so far guys. Seems I'm probably being a bit paranoid. Not for myself though, I'm a lover of all animals and would love to have the bees in the garden for the duration of the summer if I can help it.

I think I'll just take my chances and if they get riled up then I'll just get everyone back inside quick sharp!

At my mothers house there is a large, for bumbles, colony in her bird box on a tree at the end of the lawn, at the weekend there were maybe 20 drones circling round the tree waiting for virgin queens to emerge as well as the foragers coming and going - I cut the 6" long wet grass with a petrol lawnmower right under the bird box, occasionally chopping up a pine cone, and they took not the slightest notice. I think you will be very unlucky if they give you any trouble.

DSCF4477.jpg

Back