Honey bees and children?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I was about 7 when I started catching bees in jam jars with holes poked in the lids. I don't recall ever getting stung.

We have 3 x kids next door, I will only inspect the hives when they are not outside, the bees are normally calm but they can have their mood swings. They do not sting when foraging they have far more important things, like surviving on their mind. They also die when they sting so will only do so if threatened.

My 4 year old loves the bees he just sits near them and watches the bees coming and going, at the count y show he wanted to look at observation hive, where there was a crowd then shouts there she is, who? The queen daddy she's blue, little Sod he's better than me

Hi,
I have 3 children (5, 8, 13) and over the past 5 years have increased the number of hives in the back garden to 4 - this proved too many bees for our garden and so have moved them to a local farm. Whilst in the garden we never had any big problems with the children and bees. I think the worst case was when my daughter squashed a bee in her hand and got stung.....and when she got one caught in her hair. Interestingly all 3 kids have developed an interest in bees and have their own suits and ask to accompany me when visiting the hives.

Go for it!

Latest posts

Back