Honesty Box set up

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmys Mum

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a sign on the gate at the end of our drive advertising 'Local Honey'. But.......it is next to a sign saying 'please shut the gate, dogs running loose'.

I suspect that I am not going to get many people coming up to the house as a result of the dog sign so I considering some sort of honesty box set up at the gate.

Can I pick some brains and ask what others who use this system have found works. I was wondering about a glass door bathroom cabinet screwed to the wall down there?

Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks
JM

Honey or money on show is bound to be stolen me thinks. I was going to try sign with mobile no. Sadly honesty, not a commodity there is a lot of IMHO.

A plastic pipe down into a locked box chained to a tree inside your garden, add 'no change please supply right money!' to the notice. But that doesn't safeguard your honey!
E

I agree with Beeno. A few spuds or runner beans is one thing, but several jars of honey and anything more than a handful of change is very liable to be pinched. Sadly.

Is it possible to rig-up a bell-push fixed to the honey sign, on the end of a _v_e_r_y___l_o_n_g_ cable ? Assuming you don't have a quarter of a mile long drive, of course ... :)

LJ

Honesty box with CCTV sign beside it.

Honesty box with CCTV sign beside it.

Most of the scrotes are familiar with the various dummy cctvs on the market and know how to look down when in front of a real one, especially single cameras. My yard is covered by multiple cameras with recording out of harms way. If I don’t catch visitors one one they are picked up by another.

I think you may be over-sensitive regarding the dog sign - it does not say 'beware of the dogs' but 'dogs running loose' - such a sign would not stop me entering the property and knocking on the front door. Your sign shows you care about your dogs, not that you have two huge dobermans who would eat all intruders. I suggest you give it a try for a week or two - does that sign stop your postman?

Is it possible to rig-up a bell-push fixed to the honey sign, on the end of a _v_e_r_y___l_o_n_g_ cable ? Assuming you don't have a quarter of a mile long drive, of course ... :)

LJ

You can get wireless doorbells, just need a board to fix the bellpush on.

Mmmmm... Thanks, Food for thought.
We live in a small village and 2 other houses share and look out directly onto the drive so I thought it would take somebody quite brazen to start messing with a bolted/chained money box. I think I'd be happy to risk the loss of 2 or 3 jars whilst I try it out.

But.......I do like the idea of a wireless doorbell. I didn't consider that. My neighbour has just had one fitted to ring at the end of his garden? Might be the way forward!

Having said all this, a very nice chap from the next street did knock on the door this morning for a jar, my first doorstep sale - so Edwardking, you may be right 😃 he didn't seem particularly bothered by our dopey dogs!

One other possibility, which has a social content to it: is to find yourself a pensioner - one of those who doesn't get out very much - or maybe a severely disabled person in a similar situation - and 'do a deal' on commission - something along the lines of "one jar free for every eight sold" - or something like that.

There are some people who don't get out much, who'd appreciate the chance of 'still being useful', as well as having the opportunity for a brief chat to passing strangers.

LJ

Mmmmm... Thanks, Food for thought.
We live in a small village and 2 other houses share and look out directly onto the drive so I thought it would take somebody quite brazen to start messing with a bolted/chained money box. I think I'd be happy to risk the loss of 2 or 3 jars whilst I try it out.
But.......I do like the idea of a wireless doorbell. I didn't consider that. My neighbour has just had one fitted to ring at the end of his garden? Might be the way forward!
Having said all this, a very nice chap from the next street did knock on the door this morning for a jar, my first doorstep sale - so Edwardking, you may be right 😃 he didn't seem particularly bothered by our dopey dogs!

Please look at my atavar:sunning:

Or...sit there with a shot gun and force passers by to buy some honey! No waiting then.
Hmm! Might not be my best idea though!

wireless doorbell

I have this one, it's great. You could attach the pusher somewhere, or just leave it on a table. Completely waterproof, too.

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back