Homemade frames from scratch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia9801

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last weekend I finally gave it a go at making my own frames. I planned on making 30 of the so I got a supply.

I had a number of really nice t&g planks in my timber pile for a while, and only had to reduce the down by 3 mm on my planer thicknesser.

With the help of my router and saw bench I finished cutting all the parts, but it took me a long time!

Think I will buy them from now on, but still glad I did it as they fitted together snuggly and look great.

It has taught me how to improve the technique should I have a "mad spell" in the future and decide I need another challenge!

Regards

Olivia9801

Discard the parts which have knots. Knots will twist in the hive if you use them

Hi Olivia as a carpenter I hate buying anything wooden as I feel I can just make it myself, but frames like you said even with a jig made up it takes some time when they are so cheap on the net!! But if you have the time always nicer to make :smash:

GAZ1

You are right that they are cheap as chips but it was the challenge more than anything. I like scratchbuilding. The time taken is long but the satisfaction at the end is what makes it worth it.

I guess if I was a "carpenter" by trade it would be the last thing I would do as it would be to much like work. I enjoy any opportunities to go to my saw bench, router etc as it takes me away from my job!

It was quite repetitive and won't be doing them like this for a while due to the number I have now.

Regards

Olivia9801

Yeh .... I started out making frames from scratch .... then I started just buying the top bars and making the sides and bottom bar (I'm foundationless so none of the complications of slots for foundation) ... then I realised that seconds in the sale were almost the same price as I was paying for just the top bars !!

No brainer ... seconds in the sales are so cheap and take less time than DIY ... unless you have 100's of hives and a hive making business ...

Latest posts

Back