Home made nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonotron

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I recently made a nuc for a split. It was out of necessity as I couldn't buy one in time and I had a charged queen cell. It's made from 18mm Ply. I made a perspex crown board for it and the roof is insulated with polystyrene.
I've noticed moisture on the inside of the crown board and there's a bit of mould starting to grow. Is this something I should be very worried about? Do I need to make some vent holes in the perspex and raise the poly off the perspex a bit as well as making a vent for circulation? The entrance is quite small but I have drilled quite a few vent holes in the bottom of the nuc. Will the bees keep these clear or will cappings block them up?
Any help much appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/snrrevqaywlvxwy/photo 2.JPG

Condensation is common under Perspex crown boards. If there is a lot I would consider replacing it with a ply cover board.

Cut a feed hole and cover with mesh. Some bees gum up the mesh, but not all. I would then make a small air space between the roof and the cover board.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take it off and drill a feed hole and mesh it to see how it goes. Also trying to disturb them as little as possible while the new queen gets sorted.

Nice tidy job for a quick fix NUC made in a hurry! I would agree with Foxylad, best solution is to cut a feedhole in the Perspex and drill out some air vents in the roof. You just need to fix some mesh in place and it should be fine.

One other thing though, I'd cover the roof with something to protect it from the weather. Would be a shame for such a sturdy looking NUC not to last after all your effort.

I got the wood for €2.70 for an 8'x4' sheet. Someone had to buy the whole thing just for a small piece and they cut it out at the suppliers and left the rest of the sheet. I've put a coat of danish oil mixed with bees wax on it. Might not be enough though. I was more worried about the laminations starting to come loose. There's an election on here at the moment so I might help myself to an election poster to protect the roof.

I got the wood for €2.70 for an 8'x4' sheet. Someone had to buy the whole thing just for a small piece and they cut it out at the suppliers and left the rest of the sheet. I've put a coat of danish oil mixed with bees wax on it. Might not be enough though. I was more worried about the laminations starting to come loose. There's an election on here at the moment so I might help myself to an election poster to protect the roof.

Or, if you know of any printers locally, you could ask them if they have an old aluminium printing sheet they are chucking away! They usually measure about two foot square (depending on the press they use) and are a disposable item to them, use once and binned! They are ideal for covering a roof, and are thin enough to cut with scissors! :)

I didn't know about that. I'll see if I can pop into one somewhere nearby and see what they might have. Thanks

Well if you do, mention it's for protecting some bee's, usually helps to grease a helpful freebie ;)

I got some recently they were happy to give them away as a recycled project. I think he said they get £100 per tonne for scrap so not a high cost on their part.

Here you go, photo of one of the NUC's I made using the aluminium sheet to cover the roof. It's very easy to work with and fix in place with a staple gun.

Opened up today to see how they are getting on and the queen is laying away. They seem to have blocked up the vent holes I drilled on the bottom though. With a small entrance and an insulated roof is it something I should worry about?
I think I'm going to get a poly nuc and transfer them to that and keep my home made one as a backup.

Its not a proper shed. I cant see a kettle.

That top shelf will be a devil to reach once the bench fills up :)

Latest posts

Back