Holidays and Foundation numbers.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
It's that time of year again when the siren call of sun and sea gets insistent.

We are off to the Caribbean, specifically Cuba for a few days so will be off line in the mean time.

Those of you who are pondering a foundation order please work out what you want and on my return I will start the Foundation Order thread on which I will ask people to commit to a number. When I have a final number then I will get the final price and depending on that you can back out or say yes.

Once though a yes is given it is a matter of honour to stand by it which I think is fair enough as the work to save you money is being done for free.

Right, I'm off, have fun, be nice.

PH

Not seen a lot on the forum about this recently, so went ahead for the extra 2.75% and sent in our group order for over half a grand before the VAT has increased.

I think (well, know) I am not the only one....

RAB

Well it was all made very clear earlier, and that it would be happening late Jan.

Your call Rab.

"I intend making the order in the first week of Feb on the basis that those who are taking part make payment with their order in the last week of Jan. In the event that we achieve a further discount then there would be a rebate."

Not being funny but how clear do you need it Rab?

PH

Last edited:
Well folks I had thought I was clear on here for a time but it seems I have to do a bit more.

We have lost £500 from Rab, well so be it.

I am feeling more than a little p**d off about it so can we put our thinking heads on and see if we can put up a massive order so we can all save, and hopefully considerably more than the 2.5% VAT increase.

PH

Polyhive,

I daresay I read that, and likely decided then (perhaps even subliminally) that possible delivery/collection of foundation, might be running into March, even. Some, whose money I was already in possession of, might be getting a little impatient if the dispersal of the separate orders were delayed until then. I also had their monies based on the current price list, which may well advance by the VAT and a further annual increase early in 2011.

I was not prepared to go back to them and 'demand' further funds beyond the actual costs, clearly available at the time, on the KBS website.

I wish you well if you can negotiate a more advantageous price than the present one, but 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' comes to mind and I, and those I am supplying (without any extra cost), are budgetting on these currently fixed costs.

Another problem may have been an indirect cost to me, viz, if my 'wealth' were to be perceived as in excess of the statuary amounts allowed (as in my present state of recovery from surgery and claiming of any state benefits, towards which, I have been paying (as 'stoppages' collected from my income for the last 45 years). At the moment, 'every little bit helps' and I hope it will not be reduced further, for the apparent temporary swelling of my current account.

Maybe that will help to explain my decision to order earlier than potentially the middle of February.

RAB

PH - I actually missed the original thread, but Peteinwilts told me about it, and I would be interested.....as long as the order can be delivered before March ?

Have a great cruise and don't get too burnt/drunk/ or any ideas you could steer the ship !

cheers

S

Is this the foundation club that was spoken about a while back?
I take it that a large order will result in lower item costs, but what was decided about getting any order to your own door?

Brian

As I understand it, the delivery will go in full to Poly Hive in Derbyshire. It will then be distributed to various points via other members about the country and this will be the first branch of a distribution tree, which can then be expanded outwards. Once it is in the area that you select it will be down to you to organise collection with the person who then holds your order, or for a further local chains to be agreed.

This needs agreement (at least for broad regions of distribution) before anything leaves PH so that your order does not end up heading the wrong direction, and preferably before the order is placed so that people can ensure that they can get their order without too much unneccessary travel. What is required now is a list of first, and maybe second level points of delivery.

First part of building this should be a list of people willing to collect from PH, or that PH is happy to deliver to, all without deviating far from 'natural' journeys (as any special journeys will incur costs which are both unfair to the person making them, and somewhat defeats the object of getting discounts). I also think that it needs to be kept to a fairly short list of half a dozen(ish) points spread out (Scotland, North East, North West, South West, Midlands etc). I think it needs a formalised, and easily available list to avoid ambiguity.

I watch quite a few football matches and will be going to Derby on the 12th February (tickets permitting) or a home game in Leicester in another part of the month. (probably the 19th)

Whereabouts in Derbyshire does PH live?

I can bring a large bootful and back seatworth back with me to North Wiltshire. I live near the Wiltshire\Gloucestershire border, but work in Melksham.

I am sure my neighbour (Somerford Steve) could drop any over the Gloucestershire border on the way to work. (should ask first! ;) )

It is likely I will be going to Cardiff on the 22nd, if that helps any south welshpeople or bristolians.

I often go roaming with work (London is common), but rarely know where until a day or two before...

I live 12 miles from the end of the M5 - close to Exeter - so could hold Devon/Dorset orders and Cornwall could collect from me maybe? Plus of course...I am always in!!

I'm in Staffordshire, but travel back home to north Suffolk weekly for work and am happy to do that leg....

I'm going to be placing an order for myself when the "bronzed one" re-surfaces

Any Anglian's interested, tack on.....

I can bring a large bootful and back seatworth back with me to North Wiltshire. I live near the Wiltshire\Gloucestershire border, but work in Melksham.
I often go roaming with work (London is common), but rarely know where until a day or two before...

I live near Bournemouth, on the Dorset/hants border, and I believe there are a few people in Hants... does anyone travel the link between North Wilts and Hants/Dorset?

:smash: unashamed bounce!!! :smash:

Is PH back yet or did the boat sink??

if we are not still doing this, i will still be ordering a fair amount from KBS and am very happy for others (particularly north wilts\south gloucestershire) to bolt their orders onto mine to make up numbers and hit price breaks..

... as a minimum, we would save on delivery charges.

maybe the national plan with a single drop point was too big to organise for a trial bulk purchase and should have concentrated in areas!?!

I am not going to be able to organise this this year due to work here.

I came home to find that two of our tenants have gone, the properties need considerable work and the guest house is going ballistic.

With that level of personal commitment it is not possible for me to devote my time to the foundation, as I can see it needing quite a complex spreadsheet and attention to detail that I just do not have time for.

Yesterday was 17 hours from get up to bed, and all of it was work.

I am not apologising, I am just telling you how it is. We came in the door from Cuba and the phone was ringing with in 3 minutes for business.

I hope someone else can pick up the reins on this and if I can help I will but I cannot be the tool pusher on it.

PH

unless there is a national offer, I will be aiming to buy foundation in the next two or three weeks.

unless someone steps forward, i will post a new thread tomorrow for my region and see how it goes... maybe next year could be national.

And the prices have advanced by some 7 percent, or so, just recently. Jolly glad I got mine in December.

RAB

Latest posts

Back